Options

job switching question

justgreatnessjustgreatness Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been at my current job as a help desk analyst for over the past two and a half years but would rather obtain a position as a Windows Administrator. The problem is that I have been working as a full time employee since the beginning of this year but if I obtain a contract position with another company, I can make more money which I can use towards obtaining the MCSA Windows Server 2012 certification, though I lose my health benefits from my employer. I would like to leave my current company for both personal and financial reasons but not really sure what is the best option. Ideally, I would like to have enough money saved up to take care of myself for six months, but it would take about another year to save up that much money due to the low salary for my current position.

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Lots of it depends.

If you are in the USA. Check your state rates for Obamacare if you can get on(LOL), or go to directly to the insurance company and see how much it would cost your for a plan. The other option is to look for another company who will give you a shot as a sysadmin. This may take more time, but it would cover your benefits which seem important to you. The thing is you feel you are in a bad position and people stay in them far too long until they get stuck. a few years in the help desk is not to bad, but you don't want to stay there too much longer. Take a risk its it can be rewarding.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    The main issue is that here in the US, it's impossible to get a sysadmin job without any on the job experience or server certifications. If I were to accept a contract position within the next few months, it would most likely be another help desk job since it would take a lot more time to get the mcsa certification.
  • Options
    I also forgot to mention that I have spent the past year working with windows server 2008 but recruiters want on the job experience and either mcsa/mcse certification.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    The actual certification itself doesn't mean all that much. If you have the knowledge contained within and can demonstrate it in a good cover letter then interview, you'll be fine.

Even if you are only able to spend $300 to take the first 2 exams of a MS certification it still shows initiative. Who would you rather hire, someone with no certifications and little knowledge or someone with MCSE knowledge that has part of the certification completed and just needs to sit a couple more of the exams?
  • Options
    Very good point. Thank you both for your advice.