Options

Resume Critique, first time writing in English

StfnStfn Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello!
This is the first time I write my resume in English because I found an interesting ad.
The company is located all around in the world but in the ad I'll be applying to the office located in Sweden. The ad is in English so I thought it would be good to translate my Swedish resume to English.

The areas of responsibility are that I give support on hardware and software. Help manage it systems like email. make sure printers and other it equipment is working.

They are looking for a candidate high level of experience with Mac OS X and windows 7, Don't have experience in Mac OS icon_sad.gif
Pedagogical, interact and support users in a god way
Knowledge of Unix/Linux is a plus
Knowledge of TCP/IP
Excellent written and spoken English Skills

All I need now is your critique and feedback.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EiDfHOr5YltKrZjL51xbua-YBOeUJVga7bukkYvRnb4/edit

Regards
Stfn

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    01. Double-check the alignment. Your years do not line up. Also, you have some secondary lines that aren't indented, like under your Education section.
    02. You mixed up your capitalization on some things.
    03. I believe the normal term is "operating" versus "operative" system.
    04. Android and iOS are considered operating systems.
    05. Microsoft calls it "Windows Server 2003".
    06. You specifically called out the Windows OS that you utilized, but you were generic on the Linux/UNIX.
    07. Smart Phones is not a proper term.
    08. You describe hardware, but are generic. You might as well say the make/model of the equipment. HP DLXXX server, etc. Android X smartphone, etc.
    09. Your system administrator title is run together, and looks like one word. Also, it would be a good spot to capitalize System and Administrator
    10. I cannot tell who you worked for. In curriculum vitae templates, I see an employer specified. Are the job 1, Job 2, Job 3 taking the place of Employer names?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    01. Double-check the alignment. Your years do not line up. Also, you have some secondary lines that aren't indented, like under your Education section.
    02. You mixed up your capitalization on some things.
    03. I believe the normal term is "operating" versus "operative" system.
    04. Android and iOS are considered operating systems.
    05. Microsoft calls it "Windows Server 2003".
    06. You specifically called out the Windows OS that you utilized, but you were generic on the Linux/UNIX.
    07. Smart Phones is not a proper term.
    08. You describe hardware, but are generic. You might as well say the make/model of the equipment. HP DLXXX server, etc. Android X smartphone, etc.
    09. Your system administrator title is run together, and looks like one word. Also, it would be a good spot to capitalize System and Administrator
    10. I cannot tell who you worked for. In curriculum vitae templates, I see an employer specified. Are the job 1, Job 2, Job 3 taking the place of Employer names?

1. Just skip alignment and all. Im going to transfer the text to Word where everything is aligned and sorted out :)
    2. Do you have any examples where I can find those?
    3. Corrected!
    4. Moved iOS and Android to operating system
    5. Corrected!
    6. named 3 distrubutions that I mainly have used and removed Unix.
    7. Do you know what term I could use instead of smart phones?
    8. I just cant remember all the model names icon_sad.gif
    9. Changed to System Administrator
    10. I made my CV anonymous, so job 1 etc is edited out.

Thanks for the help mate. Is there anything else I should consider? Did you find my resume easy to read and would you find my resume intresting if you were looking for a new employee?

Regards
    Stfn
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    02. Do you have any examples where I can find those?

Inconsistent capitalization:
    You appear to be capitalizing your items, and then you mix in some things that are not capitalized. I would just capitalize all of the terms you have listed under Software and Hardware.
    Also, you placed some jobs in all CAPS (INTERN1, INTERN2), and some in mixed case (Job 1, Job 2, etc.)
    07. Do you know what term I could use instead of smart phones?

When I was saying that Smart Phones was not a proper term, I was referring to capitalization. Maybe I used the wrong term. I just meant that "Smart Phone" is not a proper noun. That would have been the preferred way to get my point across.
    08. I just cant remember all the model names icon_sad.gif

Do your best, based on what you do remember.

Thanks for the help mate. Is there anything else I should consider?

I am not a great resume writer, based on feedback that I have received in the past about my own resume on this site, so I may not be the best source of advice here.
    Did you find my resume easy to read and would you find my resume intresting if you were looking for a new employee?

Yes, I found it interesting, but I feel that you devalue yourself. I looked at other curriculum vitae templates, and they also went into the "story" style, so I am not sure how to change that.

I would remove things that say "helped out" or "alternate between roles" or "mainly assigned to"

Instead, try these:

Perform first and second level technical support. Maintain network connectivity and troubleshoot hardware and software failures within the infrastructure. Perform administration and troubleshooting of the QuickSearch survey application. Client configuration guru. Network printing master.

OK, maybe drop the last two statements, but you get my drift.

I am not sure if I am suited to help you with the curriculum vitae. In the US, we get hooked on bullets, which is a double-edged sword. I would rather tell a story about a job, but no one takes the time to read a story, so you better include some short, keyword-filled statements that will signal something to them when they are searching for candidates.

Of course, if you know someone working for the company, it is different. Your buddy just passes you through. That's how I've gotten my last few positions: via someone I knew from my past (sometimes, that someone is a recruiter).

Posting to job boards usually means that you're inundated with messages from three or four recruiters from the same company trying to get you to apply to a position that you've already found on your own.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options