My ESXi Server Died

Well.. I said some words when I discovered My Dell PowerEdge 1950's fate. We all expect it to happen sometime but just can't be prepared for it when it does. Goodbye old friend.

In the meantime, I'll be looking for an alternate solution for my Lab. Additionally I'll be looking for a home NAS product, I have my eye on this Synology product if anyone has any experience let me know, reviews are minimal but all appear good but could be fake.

NAS
Amazon.com: Synology DiskStation 1-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS112 (White): Computers & Accessories

HDD
Amazon.com: WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX: Computers & Accessories

Comments

• EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    For my home ESXi lab I'm using the 2 bay version of that synology NAS as an iSCSI target with 2 1TB WD Red drives and it works great.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • megatran808megatran808 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been using the qnap TS-469L with 4 WD 3 TB Reds in a RAID 10 configuration. Running iSCSI, NFS, and CIFS. The Netbak software that comes with it works great too. I also do a one-touch USB backup to an external USB drive as well. Call me paronoid on losing anything.

QNAP.com
    QNAP TS-469L-US Diskless System High-performance 4-bay NAS Server for SMBs - Newegg.com

I was gonna go with Synology. But Newegg had specials on the Qnap.
    "Love your Job, but never fall in love with your company....because you never know when your company stops loving you!"
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You really can’t go wrong with either the Synology or Qnap units. I’ve had my eye on the 1U 4 HDD Synology’s for quite some time, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I added a few extra 1TB hard drives to my ESX boxes, but it's getting to be a mess.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wait.. you can run a decent lab with just a nas box? How can it handle the servers?
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    unfortunately no. You need a server too.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • megatran808megatran808 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jahaziel wrote: »
    Wait.. you can run a decent lab with just a nas box? How can it handle the servers?

The NAS is just shared storage for the ESXi Hosts.
    "Love your Job, but never fall in love with your company....because you never know when your company stops loving you!"
  • jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh got it. I was so confused for a second.
  • bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    Well, my Synology DS112 arrived today.

Setup was quick and painless!
    My installed notes are below..
    unpackaged device
    removed side panel
    inserted harddrive
    screwed harddrive in place
    connected side panel
    screwed side panel in place
    connected LAN & power cables
    followed instructions in browser type find.synology.com -- FAILED step
    inserted CD as directed if previous step fails
    device found, installed synology assistant program
    required DSM to install, DSM is the OS used for the DS112 product
    visted synology.com, found product under the download center
    downloaded DSM and installed
    DHCP reservation on router configured

Now I've loaded up the WebGUI and beginning to tinker around. In the process of downloaded 8.6 and 9.1 CUCM Products & Apps now.