Options

I Found the Net+ to be more difficult than the ICND1

olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ive noticed a lot of people brush the Network+ cert off.
But after taking the ICND1, I found the Net+ to be much harder.
Other than subnetting, the Net+ covered a lot more material.

However it could just be because when I took the Net+ I was less experienced...

Good luck to anyone taking the new exam, I found it very easy.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They seem to cover similar topics but Cisco has the CLI aspects. Cisco does say on their website that people who pass Network+ have a higher CCNA pass rate than those who do not.
  • Options
    True.
    It might just be the order I took them in.
    Like if I took the ICND1 first I wouldve found it harder than the Net+
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think the main reason people brush it off is because it does little to nothing to help you career wise. Not really to do with the exam itself.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    I would second networker050184.
  • Options
    I think the main reason people brush it off is because it does little to nothing to help you career wise. Not really to do with the exam itself.

I see. The Net+ is useless after you have entry level experience but the CCNA and even CCENT hold more weight higher up the job ladder.

Good point
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So quick question. If Net+ is useless once you get a little experience would it be helpful when attempting to switch careers into networking?

I plan on making a career switch to networking in about 18 months. I will have my CCNA and should complete an associates in computer science at about the same time. Would I be wasting time with Network+ or would it reinforce my CCNA knowledge.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it would be a waste of time to go after the Net+ especially after you already have the CCNA. I would never advise anyone to go for the Net+ instead of the CCNA under any circumstances if looking to make a career in networking.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Once you have your CCNA you wouldn't need to go back to get Network+ unless your employer required it...government is the only scenario I can think of. Net+ is an entry level certification and CCNA is quite a bit higher.

With that being said...Cisco says themselves people who possess Net+ have a higher CCNA pass rate.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Crazy, I found N+ to be extremely easy considering the very little studying I did ..found out on a Friday that I would take the test the following Monday, studied a few videos and flash cards for around 8 hours. Passed easily, I do work in IT but have very little network experience ..I can't imagine ICND1 being easier than that.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I felt the Network+ had much much more memorization which can be easier/harder depending on the kind of person you are. Cisco had way more applied scenarios.
  • Options
    Valor85Valor85 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying for ICND1 right now, and was thinking the Net+ seemed way harder when I studied for it a year ago. But I think that was because I was new to networking when I did study for Net+. CCENT is coming pretty easy to me.
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I found the network+ to be easier than the ICND1 especially due to the sublets and sims that are in the ICND1, compared to only having to worry about mutiple choice questions on the Net+.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My experience was that I found the Network+ to be harder than the CCENT. I'm glad I took the Network+ before I started the CCENT/CCNA certification track because it was much easier going into it with basic networking fundamentals, TCP/IP, cabling. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    aia87aia87 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    after I already have my ccna I went back to my network+ exam cram book (which i have before even starting my ccna) and read it for extra information
    sure there was like 75% information I already know at that moment but extra information never hurts and since you already know most of this stuff reading that book was fast i actually finished it in a week
    but I do agree with the previous posts that going for N+ (Certification) after having ccna is useless but maybe reading a Network+ book after having ccna without having N+ cert or knowledge might be useful to fill in some gaps

also I might add that reading Network warrior book after having ccna worked very well to fill in even more gaps
    be careful that book is heavy and it's titled "Everything you need to know that wasn't on the ccna exam"