Options

Any interviewers in here ? quick question

dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am migrating to the US but i have a question for interviews, has there ever been a situation where the length of hair has played a part in your selection, or have you heard of a situation like this.

I have length of hair and considering cutting it to help me feel better in interviews not wondering if they are wondering about my hair. it is long but it is neat and pulled back.

Is this an issue, anyone can voice thier opinion

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As long as you dont look like a hippie, long hair arent usually a problem. Facial hair are okay too as long as you dont look like you belong to the Stone Age.

You'll be fine.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    it depends on the culture of the company. My company we have people who are off all race, gender and sexuality. Your milage may vary depending on the company.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with shodown. It really does depend on the culture of the company. One company in our area Enterprise Holding (AKA Rent a Car) requires all of their employees to wear coats and ties except on Friday only ties that day. No facial hair either.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually have longer'ish hair and facial hair.

However, I cut it short and shave down to the skin before every interview just in case.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It wouldn't put me off at all if someone had long hair in an interview as long as it is neat. As showdown and others pointed out it comes down to the person doing the interview and the company culture though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @dsgm - good luck in your move to the US. Most companies in the US have equal employment policies that are designed to reduce the occurrence of discrimination. However, employers have a right to portray an outwards reputation based on their employees appearance. And employers can have grooming policies (similar to what N2IT stated). This has actually been tested in court in some states and to my knowledge in most cases, the employer has won the case. So what does that mean to you - it depends. For myself, I don't really care if a job candidate has long hair or a shaved head regardless of gender. But if the job was for a customer-facing role such as sales - I may care more. Luckily - the majority of IT roles in the US do not bias against males with long hair. In fact, at one time in certain parts of the US, male technology professionals with shoulder long hair was very common - in some ways computer experts were expected to have long hair.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just keep it neat for the interview and you should be fine. I have 2 full sleeves (tattoos) and always wear long-sleeves to interviews. If I'm brought on-board I then ask about the policy, if its allowed I can rock short-sleeves, if not then its long-sleeves only.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always wear formal clothes on an interview something like a blue or white shirt and a tie, formal black shinny pair of shoes, formal black or dark grey trouser and/or black blazer, this creates good a first impression on an interviewer and it also grabs attention and they will take whatever you say seriously i've learned this from a communications skills course and they did say anyone with long hair or dread logs must make it neat and presentable it shouldn't stand out, but it will depend like the guys are saying it will depend on the policy of the organization, some guys are allowed to work with tattoos or pierce ear, mouth or nose. My friend is a graphic designer and he goes to work with his pierce nose. keep in mind that first impressions last so you got to be smart about that.
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the responses, puts my mind at ease. i definitely will have it neat and tidy when in an interview and will take in all other suggestions.