Options

Working on Resume - First IT Job

SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
This is my first draft of my resume for my first IT job. I'm coming from a health/fitness background. For any IT jobs at hospitals, I will add to my summary that I have experience working in a hospital setting.

A few notes/questions:
  • I want to convey that I'm ready to learn and ready to work. I'm not sure that saying that I'm motivated and eager to learn will do anything though because most people probably allude to this, whether true or not.
  • Only on my first course of the IT program, so I really can't mention any relevant coursework (Intro to Linux course)
  • I'm trying to emphasize that I have worked with people, presented in front of people, etc. The YMCA bullet note is probably bad, but it is a place holder until I come up with a good way to describe using effective communications skills.
  • What skills are worth listing? Things relating to attention to detail, work ethic, etc. or are these worthless?
Like I said before, I'm not sending this out until I make considerable changes. This is just a first draft.

Thank you for the input in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Just a quick bump. Hoping to send out my resume in a few days and I really value the opinions here.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    One thing I can suggest is your skill set. Dont say BASIC BASIC BASIC you have your A+, List what you learned there as skill sets. Say you know Linux Command line, and when it comes up in an interview explain what you know, etc.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Watch your tense in the summary. It's not very well worded IMO.

I agree, drop the basic out of your skills section. Also move this above the work experience. I'm usually not a fan of skills sections, but it is appropriate for an entry level resume.

Did you do anything with technology in your past jobs? If so try to highlight it in your experience section. Also highlight any customer service experience. This is important for entry level support positions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Remove the GPA listing. If your employers want to see it, they will request it. It's probably not a good idea to list GPA unless it is above 3.5.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input. I can definitely see where you are all coming from. The only question I have is regarding the GPA. I have always heard 3.0+ list on your resume. Is this different in technical fields?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd leave it off personally, especially for an unrelated degree.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.