Database Fundamentals & 70-462

ClausIRLClausIRL Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys, I'm new to SQL but I'm interested in starting off, I started to study 98-364 Database Fundamentals & will then move on to 70-462 afterwards. I am currently taking notes from an online video study guide & will then do lots of practice tests, my aim is to take the exam in 2 months time. Can anyone confirm if this first fundamentals exam is very difficult ?

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello and welcome to TE. Unfortunately, difficulty is relative and will depend on your background. I personally have never taken the exam but I did just look at the objectives. And it looks relatively straightforward.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    ClausIRL wrote: »
    Hello guys, I'm new to SQL but I'm interested in starting off, I started to study 98-364 Database Fundamentals & will then move on to 70-462 afterwards. I am currently taking notes from an online video study guide & will then do lots of practice tests, my aim is to take the exam in 2 months time. Can anyone confirm if this first fundamentals exam is very difficult ?

Hi ClausIRL,

Welcome to TE. First off let me tell you I'm new to SQL myself. I've passed the 70-461 a few months back and have started the on and off process of study for 70-462.

Coming from a server admin background I find the 462 rather easy to understand when it comes to certain parts, such as backups, user security, Always on with clustering, mirroring and installing the product.

If I didn't have that background knowledge... Yes it would be harder as its all new.

As for your database fundamentals course. I'm not sure what they would teach you? Maybe table structure, relationships, PK, FK, Stored Proc, views? You will learn all that with the 70-461 exam.

I've recently been pointed towards a company named PluralSight. They have just brought out Trainsignal and do a monthly plan for their complete library. Just the other day they uploaded the 70-462 course. I would recommend them.

I've kind of waffled on there a bit I hope it makes sense...

Regards
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• EcioEcio Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knownhero wrote: »
    Hi ClausIRL,

I've recently been pointed towards a company named PluralSight. They have just brought out Trainsignal and do a monthly plan for their complete library. Just the other day they uploaded the 70-462 course. I would recommend them.
    Regards

I think I remember Pluralsight name because they have a strong relationship with Microsoft: some of their courses were offered for free if you had MSDN/Technet subscriptions and they were advertised in the corresponding newsletters, so probably they should be ok.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have taken the fundamentals exam and it is not terribly difficult. I think the official study material for the 98-364 is an outstanding introduction to the topic.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • JSQLJSQL Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the 70-461, and I'm going to tackle the 70-462 next.
  • ClausIRLClausIRL Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    I have taken the fundamentals exam and it is not terribly difficult. I think the official study material for the 98-364 is an outstanding introduction to the topic.

HI Carl, yeah indeed it's introductory but because I'm new to SQL it's exactly what I need to get me started, by the way, Pluralsight seems to be the best site for the study materials needed for that exam, not to mention spending 1-2 weeks on practice tests afterward & then booking your exam if you feel comfortable :)
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you will find tremendous value in this exam. Let us know how you do and feel free to post any questions!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.