Options

SBS 2011 Internet Access question...

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
So, I have a SBS2011 server that is using an IP of 192.168.1.2, router is 192.168.1.1.... I put all hosts to use 192.168.1.2 for DNS, 192.168.1.1 for gateway.

SBS2011 allows you to check a box next to a user if they are allowed Internet Access, this "feature" does not seem to work. Should I be setting the gateway to 192.168.1.2 for all the machines in the office instead of 192.168.1.1?

I am using a cisco router and could put ACL's that way to block traffic, but would rather use the "feature" that is available within Microsoft if possible.

Thanks.

*EDIT*

I will just make a group policy for them to use a proxy server and put in a bogus address.... Easiest way around Microsoft's supposed "feature"

Comments

• Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    to be honest i've never seen that "feature" in sbs. Also I've never looked for it either. Personally I'd either do your proxy idea or something on the cisco device. Since that server is already over loaded because its sbs I wouldn't load anything else that didn't need to be on it.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OK, where is this check box? I just remoted in to two different SBS2011 boxes out of curiosity and I don't see it.