Options

Desktop Analyst Salary?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Desktop Analyst Salary? I have been in IT for 4-5 years or so, I currently make 23.11 and have great benefits, if i were offered a salary of 48k, which is close to what I make would it be ok to offer a little more? such as 25?

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    Desktop Analyst Salary? I have been in IT for 4-5 years or so, I currently make 23.11 and have great benefits, if i were offered a salary of 48k, which is close to what I make would it be ok to offer a little more? such as 25?

Too many blanket statements for anyone to give you a clue. Not sure why this is a common topic, at the end of the day YOU should know your value.

Desktop A doesn't equal Desktop B, CCNA at Company A maybe couldn't hold CCNA at Company B's jock strap, CCNP etc.

When going through the interview process, employers love to ask "what are your salary reqs?" to which you should always respond, I need to see a complete job description before I can let you know what "my" requirements are for the position.

Then, you can use something like salary.com to determine medium salary ranges for similar positions and then come to an idea of what you require to take the job. If you are a rarity in that you actually want to be a good Sys Admin or Net Engineer always aim high and state reasons why. (i.e. I am currently studying for "XYZ" certification and this is where i want to be in 5yrs bla bla bla")

What does "been in IT for 4-5 years" mean? Again, what have you done? What can you do? The answer to those two questions are what bring the cheddar.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    They didn't bring that up in my interview
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Before I start, I agree 110% with Route, only you can decide what you are willing to accept for pay. That said, I don't think I have had anyone look down upon me for simply asking "Is the salary negotiable" when pay comes up. I always ask, even if I am thrilled with the value they have offered.

If they say they cannot negotiate then take it as is, don't get offended or push the matter further. If you can find a job listing we MIGHT be able to give you a better idea of what the pay scale would be for your area. Else, I assume you wanted 52 (not 25) which is chump change any way you look at it. If you ask for 52 they might say sure, it's only $2.00 an hour extra. Likewise, you should be fine making $2.00 less if the job is a good opportunity.

Good Luck either way.

**EDIT**

I did not notice that you had switched between salary and hourly in your post. That would mean 25 per hour not the 52k I read it as. I believe my point still stands because of how close they are in value (52k vs 25 p/h).