Options

I Need Guidance As A Navy IT

menoskyzmenoskyz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking for guidance that perhaps one of you can help me with. Here is my current situation..

I am 19 y/o and will be a Navy IT on Active Duty for a 4-year contract. I am not a degree holder but do plan on obtaining one through the Navy. I am orginally from the Bay Area in California approximately 30-45 minutes away from the silicon valley. (I dont know if that would mean anything or not) I am still in 'A' School and recently got my Comptia A+ Certification.

here are a few questions that I am curious about.

1. For any of you who have been a Navy IT, what would be the best way of obtaining college credits towards a degree? I heard CLEP was a good way to do so but would like to hear more options as well. What degree title would my certifications help augment the value of it?

2. Since I only have a 4-year contract I am not guaranteed a 'C' School, and was wondering how or if I can get a 'C' school? preferably towards the SysAdmin side.

3. What are the chances of me landing a job in the IT field in/near the East Bay, CA?

4. Based off of your own experiences, I would like to hear what would be some ways to plan out my 4-years here with the Navy on Active Duty that would benefit me going back into the private sector.

5. What certifications are highly sought for in the IT field?

Thank You for Viewing,
- A Young Sailor Who Thinks Too Much About His Future

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    1. Clep is your friend you can knock out quite a few classes.

2. You don't need a C school. Most of them arent' good anyway. You can study on your off time CCNA and CCNP and not owe the obligations in time and learn more anyway.

3. You have to check to find that out. A lot of the jobs out there are programming types, but i'm sure there are plenty of sysadmin, network admins

4. I got off active back in 2008. I had quite a few jobs and decided to get into VoIP. It all depends on what you are doing in the navy. I worked at UARNOC and was able to get a lot of cisco experience there. If you end up in ADP/EDP those are more server type jobs. You could also end up in TECH control or crypto which have no IT work in them. So try to get into the computer side as soon as possible.

5. This just depends on your intrest. I started off doing a lot of server work and working towards a MCSE cause that was the hot thing to have. Give it some time to find what you really like then go after those certs.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. The higher rank you obtain the more college credits you will get as well. I got out in 2000 as an IT2, and I believe I got 30 credits. I am sure its a bit more now a days. Learn your rate and embrace it. Be that stellar sailor and you will get promoted quickly, just as I did. I made E5 in 2 years.
    As you mentioned, CLEP is also a good way to go.

2. I doubt you can get a C school unless you goto a command that requires a certain NEC. The other way is if you re-enlist and request one.

3. I dont know much about that area, but I am sure it wont be hard to find something since you will have a clearance. Make use of that clearance.

4. See #1. Know your rate as well as you can. Have a go getter attitude and show your management who you are and what you can do. Be passionate about IT and figure out what part of IT you like (Servers, Networking, Security etc..) and get certifed in that area.

5. It depends on what find interesting. If you like Microsoft, work on an MCSE. If you like Linux, look at LPIC/RHCSA/Linux+

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. I am actually going back into the reserves, and just waiting on my recruiters to give me a date to swear back in. Once in I am looking to go LDO or possibly CWO down the line.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is a guy on here named NavyIT, he just got out and I'm sure he can tell you anything you want to know. Maybe he'll see this thread.