Options

Punchingdown a phone line to a patch panel

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys/Gals,

I've punched down RJ-45 to patch panels in the past but I may need to punchdown a RJ-11 to the panel but can't find any good documentation or diagrams. Have any of you done this before?

Comments

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is it your trying to do exactly?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    What is it your trying to do exactly?

The phone line will be patched into a jack in one of the offices. Now we have 2 others that were done a few years ago but its hard to tell which wires go where, thats why im looking for a diagram or how to.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Is it a 6 pin or a 4 pin? I believe red/green on a 4 pin should go to blue/blue-white. Been a long ass time since I've done this.

On a 4 pin, the outside wires are one pair and the inside are another on an RJ11. I don't remember which one hits blue and which one hits blue/white though. I think its red to blue, green to blue/white.
  • Options
    For punching down the side in the office, normally the jack has a color scheme on the jack http://cloudfront.zorotools.com/product/full/5LR67_AS01.JPG

For punching down the side in the phone closet it depends on your phone system and how its set up.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    For punching down the side in the office, normally the jack has a color scheme on the jack http://cloudfront.zorotools.com/product/full/5LR67_AS01.JPG

For punching down the side in the phone closet it depends on your phone system and how its set up.

Thanks, I'll need to double check what I already have there but I believe its exactly what I have in-place
  • Options
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    so Cat3 phone wire has 2 pairs right? red/green yellow/black - your red/green are your inside pairs and yellow/black are outside pairs (2 lines) the inside pairs are your primary and outside pairs are your 2nd line

If you're punching down 110 8 slots (for cat5) use the blue/white-blue pairs - ring is your blue (red on cat3) and white-blue (green on cat3) is your tip.

Most jacks dont care about polarity anymore so it might work if you have the pairs swapped.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Technically...your terminating not patching...patching would take place in the telco closet/demarc with either 66 or 110 blocks.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    so Cat3 phone wire has 2 pairs right?
    Some cat 3 cables have 4 pairs some have 2 pairs. Also depending on the phone system they might only need 1 pair.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    Technically...your terminating not patching...patching would take place in the telco closet/demarc with either 66 or 110 blocks.

Technically, you spelled you're​ incorrectly. :)