Options

Network Engineer Interview advise

Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
I recently started applying 2 weeks ago for network positions as I heard the job market was pretty bad and might take a while to get a job. After the first week I was flooded with job interviews and was pretty busy going everywhere for interviews. I would like some advice on a particular company I applied to. This is for a Network Engineer Tier 1-2 position in a very large institution:

So this is how it went: Email Resume > Got an email back asking for some information on specific projects I've done > Got an Interview with HR > Another interview with National Team lead > They asked for background check, financial check and references > Technical phone interview with department manager engineer (phone call from the US) > Right after that, had a technical interview conference call with department manager and the Section Team Lead Engineer> Several emails to HR requiring updates > Then finally a call from HR saying: "The Client thinks you are overqualified for the position and they think you might get bored in the position offered but they said there might be another higher up position available internally and would like to have you for it. They will call us tomorrow with more information". This was today.

I have to say I aced all interviews and maybe I did too well at the technical interviews. The reason I say this is that the technical interviews started with very broad questions and each time I answered correctly they asked me deeper technical questions. A lot of these questions I had to know the answer "cold" like timers, AD, command outputs, what exact command to get this type of information, explain how protocols worked and interacted with others. They even started asking me questions about their current problems in their network and debates they were having between engineers at work. My question is: did I blew my chances by answering too many questions correctly in the technical interview? Should I miss questions on purpose next time?

It seems odd that they would tell me I'm overqualified and talk to me about another position if they just wanted to blow me off. What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated. Also I will post the questions to my interview once I finish the interview process with this company.

Ps: I am also working part-time doing private consultation (network assessment and implementation) with another client but didn't sign any non-compete papers with them.
Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like you did well enough that they think you are a good fit for the higher position. I've had that happen a few times when interviewing people for lower level contract positions and then ask them to instead apply for the higher level perm positions we have. It's nothing out of the ordinary.

I definitely think missing questions on purpose is a bad thing. Not only do you jeopardize the position you are applying for, but you can also end up lowering your salary. We usually higher people on for a position as either a level 2 or level 3 depending on their technical level. If you bomb some of the questions we will bring you on at the lower level with a lower salary.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice job! Take their word for it. They seriously seemed to have grilled you MULTIPLE times. That's a ton of interviews/phone calls/emails and so they got to know your skills quite well.

It sounds to me like you'll be getting a job offer soon!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Never blow an interview because you know too much. It is a good thing they are talking about a higher position. They know what roles they are hiring for and you probably are well ahead of where they want the lower position to be.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the advise.
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you'll be getting a job offer soon!
    I hope so but I don't have my hopes up. What HR says is BS 50% of the time. I'll keep you guys posted.
  • Options
    Update: I got a phone call and basically told I am getting another interview on Monday to talk about job advancements to the Lead Technical Manager (I don't think I've talked to this guy yet). I asked if it was a technical interview or more of a general questioning and I got told it might be a mix of both. I also asked if I was interviewing for the same job and they said it was the same position but I will be discussing advancements with them. At this point this will be my 5th interview not including all emails/follow ups/background check/references. Is it common to take this long for an engineering position?
    Usually it goes HR interview > Technical interview but I hav'nt heard of a final interview like this. What do you think I can expect at this interview?
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    It sounds like if this interview goes well they might make you a pretty attractive offer.