Options

Looking for an MS in InfoSec Online.

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok, so after my BS is complete I want to go ahead and get my MS in InfoSec or MBA in IT. I have some requirements, must be able to do 100% online. Also, no exams, as I would prefer projects and papers that would allow me more flexibility over online proctored exams. I must be able to complete in 1 year for MBA or 1.5 for MS. Must take GI bill. I have chatted with some schools through the online chat thingy some sites have but this is more trouble than its worth.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/53985-master-list-b-m-colleges-offering-online-degrees.html

Some not listed: Iowa, WGU, CMU

I don't know about "no exams." That seems a tall order. Most online courses I've done have been almost all exams.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I have looked in to most of these and dont know of any that dont have exams.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the issue you'll find with schools that are 100% remote and not requiring proctored exams is the idea that it might not really be you turning in the work. What would stop me from paying someone who is well versed in the course material to do my projects and write my papers then I could collect my new masters degree?
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I think the issue you'll find with schools that are 100% remote and not requiring proctored exams is the idea that it might not really be you turning in the work. What would stop me from paying someone who is well versed in the course material to do my projects and write my papers then I could collect my new masters degree?

I ran into this issue before, the idea that someone thinks I want to pay another person to due work. First off I am broke. I have taken proctored webcam exams before and I dont like them. The fact that I cant see someone starring at me for 2 hours freaks me out and makes me irritated. Trying to sit still for that long without moving your head or getting out of your seat sucks. Going to a physical site is not an option. If I deploy for a year no way a webcam will work. I find it more relaxed to do the paper or projects at your own pace vs a countdown. I perfectly understand the issues that could arise from not using proctors. Im sure others agree with this point of view.
  • Options
    Honestly, I think your expectations are unrealistic. I don't know what else to tell you. If there were a school you could get through that didn't have a single proctored exam, the degree likely wouldn't be taken seriously, assuming it could even get accreditation. I get why this is a problem for you and what the disadvantages are, but honestly, a degree that's entirely online with nothing at all to to prove the holder took it would be totally, utterly worthless. Online degrees have a stigma as it is.

That being said, most of my online classes (from a B&M school, mind you) have been entirely online, and I don't think that's unreasonable. If you look at some of the programs available, I bet you'll find some that have primarily classes without proctored exams. And to be perfectly frank, if you can't suffer through the weirdness of a few webcam-proctored exams, I have to question if you're really in the right mindset to complete a degree at all. I get that being deployed could be a problem, and that, too, is a really compelling reason to hold off if you think it will make finishing not viable.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    From my (limited) understanding, an online school needs to have proctors to be able to achieve accreditation status. I have gone to two online schools (BS and MS) and they have had proctored exams/papers/etc, and the reason being is that in order for the school to be accredited, it needs to have proctors.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    If you deploy you simply go to the ed center and they do the proctoring. This is an accord that darn near every institution has with the armed forces. Your ed center or the university can elaborate further.
  • Options
    From my (limited) understanding, an online school needs to have proctors to be able to achieve accreditation status. I have gone to two online schools (BS and MS) and they have had proctored exams/papers/etc, and the reason being is that in order for the school to be accredited, it needs to have proctors.

I am aware that there are many schools that use the honor system, and they are RA schools. Also I have chatted with a few online, for-profit schools that claim they don't use proctors, they state they are "research and project" based institutions and they are RA.

As for ed centers, the problem with A-Stan is that all those dozens of little FOB's the last thing they care about is putting an ed center there. There are only a handful of bases that provide these centers.
  • Options
    Also I have chatted with a few online, for-profit schools that claim they don't use proctors, they state they are "research and project" based institutions and they are RA.
    I'm sure they state you'll get $150,000 salary after you complete your degree. ;)

But seriously, if you've chatted with them and they don't have horrible reputation and you have reason to believe they will have no or very, very few proctored exams, it sounds like you've found your solution. What's the problem with the ones you have chatted with?
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Once TA is approved the commander has an obligation to help out where he can and in your case it would be getting you to a bigger fob with an ed center. I've been there and that's how I had to do it. That's the whole reason there are ed centers in theater.
  • Options
    ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the rest, you will have difficulty finding an accredited and reputable Masters program without any sort of proctored exam. Also, if being deployed is a concern, then just put the degree on hold while you are deployed. WGU's MSIA is probably a good fit, even though it has exams because it allows you to go at your own pace. Another option for you is industry certifications. Have you considered studying for more certs such as SSCP, CISSP, CEH, CHFI, etc?
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »

But seriously, if you've chatted with them and they don't have horrible reputation and you have reason to believe they will have no or very, very few proctored exams, it sounds like you've found your solution. What's the problem with the ones you have chatted with?

The 3 schools I looked at were Capella, AIU, and North Central U, with the first 2 being NSA certified. All online for-profit. There are many more, just looking for more suggestions from anyone that has taken courses at schools that don't do proctored exams. Since Im using the GI Bill, might as well get the better school. (maybe asking for too much here).
    ahardinjr wrote: »
    I agree with the rest, you will have difficulty finding an accredited and reputable Masters program without any sort of proctored exam. Also, if being deployed is a concern, then just put the degree on hold while you are deployed. WGU's MSIA is probably a good fit, even though it has exams because it allows you to go at your own pace. Another option for you is industry certifications. Have you considered studying for more certs such as SSCP, CISSP, CEH, CHFI, etc?

Will be looking at CEH, CISSP and others in the future.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818