Options

Cyber Security Degree

VirgoCupcakeVirgoCupcake Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently in school at UMUC for Cyber Security.

Anyone has their degree in that field?

What jobs do you think I can get once I have that degree?

Yes I know of some. However its some people who may know jobs that I may not have thought of...

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hate to burst your bubble...but security is a tough egg to crack. Without any experience in the field...you probably won't get a job in security...even with the degree. Expect to start elsewhere in the IT world...and hope to work your way into security. You might get lucky...but for that to happen...you need to network and make connections.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NovaHax wrote: »
    Hate to burst your bubble...but security is a tough egg to crack. Without any experience in the field...you probably won't get a job in security...even with the degree. Expect to start elsewhere in the IT world...and hope to work your way into security. You might get lucky...but for that to happen...you need to network and make connections.

I've heard that before and it's one reason I think I may go with just the general IT degree. IT Security sounds great, but I want to be flexible too.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally speaking NovaHax is correct - You'll probably do other things before rounding back to infosec.

That being said, I'm seeing the field expand - I have worked in two SOC environments now, both of which were willing to hire ambitious people with TCP/IP and Linux knowledge but no security experience. Obviously this only works well if there are skilled, experienced senior analysts on staff to help move things along, just know the opportunities do exist if you keep an eye out.

Knowing a few programming/scripting languages will go a long way as well.