Options

WGU: Is it worth it

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys, first post. So thus is the situation: I have already talked to an enrollment counselor and am interested in taking the IT: Security route. I am two CLEPs away from my CCAF (Air Force degree in Information Systems), have a CCENT and taking my CCNA next week. After finishing the CCNA, CCBA security, abd the last two CLEPs, I want to start classes, however I have been doing some digging and I can't find program accreditation, national accreditation, and the regional accreditation given to WGU is no longer recognized by the Commitee of Higher Education Accreditation, and in addition, I don't know how big employers would reciprocate to this degree being on my resume. I want to be able to know I can apply these credits to a good MS program in the future. Thoughts?
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WGU Accreditation | Accredited Online University | Western Governors University Online

Can you show where you found that it isn't regionally accredited anymore?
  • Options
    Can you show where you found that it isn't regionally accredited anymore?

The regional accreditation, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, is what currently provides WGU their accreditation. There are two places that evaluate these accredititors and give them a go or a no go if they meet higher education requirements. These two places are the Department of Education and the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (I apologize for the typo). Regional Accreditation through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities is still approved by the Department of Education, but not by CHEA, as you will see on their website. The list of their accredited agencies are here: http://chea.org/pdf/2013-2014_Directory_of_CHEA_Recognized_Organizations.pdf
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Xonis1Xonis1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    checked on CHEA (council of higher education accreditation)

CHEA Database of Institutions Accredited By Recognized U.S. Accrediting Organizations

It's on there.
    WGU BSIT:Software
    Start Date: Oct 1, 2013
    In Progress: TBP1 WFV1 EAV1 CLC1
    Transfered: AGCI GAC1 BVC1 (8 cu)
    Remaining:
    EDV1 BNC1 BOV1 BVC1 CJV1 CIC1 CRV1 CTV1 CUV1 CVV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 DIV1 DJV1 IWC1 IWT1 CJC1 TJP1 TPV1 WPV1 EUP1 EUC1 TXP1 TXC1 TYP1 TYC1 EBV1 CDC1 CDP1 UBC1 UBT1
  • Options
    checked on CHEA (council of higher education accreditation)

CHEA Database of Institutions Accredited By Recognized U.S. Accrediting Organizations

It's on there.

You're right. It is ON there, but if you look here: CHEA Database of Institutions Accredited By Recognized U.S. Accrediting Organizations Commission on Colleges and Universities, it only says that NWCCU is recognized by the USDE, not CHEA.
    While if you look at the SACSCOC, they are recognized by both: CHEA Database of Institutions Accredited By Recognized U.S. Accrediting Organizations Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Options
    I'm not trying to debate this. The purpose of my post is this:
    How many people have had good experience with: 1. Applying for a job with a degree from WGU on their resume, and 2. Applying their BS degree in IT towards a MS degree at another college, whether it be online or not.
    I am not worried that I won't get a job without it. My security clearance and job experience alone could get me a good job. All I want to know is will this degree support me in my future IT career endeavors (I am a Network Engineer)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I can give you my experience.
    1) Having this degree has helped me for sure. The only time I had a semi-negative reaction was at one interview where the guy obviously didn't care for online degrees. I still got the job because the other 6 people were impressed by my skills and outvoted him. I ended up turning down the job for my current job as a network engineer where I am making a good live (6 figures + 10% annual bonus in California). I did have certifications and security/IT experience prior to this job but my boss flat out told me that HR would not hire someone as a FTE without a four year degree so ultimately it was instrumental to me becoming a FTE.
    2) A few people have been able to transfer their WGU BS to MS degrees at other schools (swild and others). Since it's a fully accredited school, there's no issue there. It just depends how well you do on the GRE.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    . . .
    2) A few people have been able to transfer their WGU BS to MS degrees at other schools (swild and others). Since it's a fully accredited school, there's no issue there. It just depends how well you do on the GRE.

And there are plenty of decent master's programs out there that don't require GRE.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It should be accepted at almost any regionally-accredited school for any program that doesn't require a specific undergraduate field of study. Professional master's in IT/IS or Information Security/Assurance generally don't have those requirements, and would accept WGU when they do.

I know of no one on TechExams who has completed an undergrad at WGU and didn't find it helpful. I haven't encountered anyone IRL who has completed it at all, so I can't speak to that level.

If WGU were no longer regionally accredited I wouldn't recommend anyone touch it with a ten foot pole. But it is, so I don't see any major issue. There is always the stigma of online schools and of no-name schools, but that's hardly a show-stopper in this line of work, and a master's from a more recognized school can easily compensate for it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Alright guys thanks for the help! That definitely helped out. I plan on doing IT: Security from what I have read about it, but what advice could anyone give me from their experience of attending WGU if there was one thing? :D
  • Options
    Xonis1Xonis1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alright guys thanks for the help! That definitely helped out. I plan on doing IT: Security from what I have read about it, but what advice could anyone give me from their experience of attending WGU if there was one thing? :D

Look at the courses you are going to need to take (for example A+) and study early so you can get it done quickly.
    WGU BSIT:Software
    Start Date: Oct 1, 2013
    In Progress: TBP1 WFV1 EAV1 CLC1
    Transfered: AGCI GAC1 BVC1 (8 cu)
    Remaining:
    EDV1 BNC1 BOV1 BVC1 CJV1 CIC1 CRV1 CTV1 CUV1 CVV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 DIV1 DJV1 IWC1 IWT1 CJC1 TJP1 TPV1 WPV1 EUP1 EUC1 TXP1 TXC1 TYP1 TYC1 EBV1 CDC1 CDP1 UBC1 UBT1
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do Not take the easy courses and online proctored exams first. Makes life harder when you have 3 exams to study for in 6 months. Do half quick and a cert or 2. If you have time then do another cert. I did every online proctored exam and most of the assessments in the first 2 terms to get the out of the way. Tried doing CCENT/CCNA and 70-680 in a semester with 4 kids and a full time job....Did not go so well.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    I just started back in August, but based on my limited experience, I would say that you should try and find your optimal pace for learning and not really pay attention to your mentor if they are trying to push you too hard. My mentor wanted me to initially pass one class per week. Never even asked me what I wanted to try and accomplish myself, just thought he knew what was best for me! He did not let me pick my classes either. It worked out well for my first 4 classes, but then I failed the exam on my fifth class and have decided to slow it down a bit to make sure I am really learning here and not just dumping. From what I understand though, most mentors aren't pushy like mine, I just got lucky...Good luck!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    CoolAsAFan wrote: »
    I just started back in August, but based on my limited experience, I would say that you should try and find your optimal pace for learning and not really pay attention to your mentor if they are trying to push you too hard. My mentor wanted me to initially pass one class per week. Never even asked me what I wanted to try and accomplish myself, just thought he knew what was best for me! He did not let me pick my classes either. It worked out well for my first 4 classes, but then I failed the exam on my fifth class and have decided to slow it down a bit to make sure I am really learning here and not just dumping. From what I understand though, most mentors aren't pushy like mine, I just got lucky...Good luck!

I'm glad my mentor isn't pushy like that. My mentor's only concern was I wanted to do 18 credits a semester. I have 37 days left till the end of my semester and all I have to do is my LAE1 eassay which I am around half way done.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CoolAsAFan wrote: »

Yeah, that's a very pushy mentor. I was able to knock out some classes very quickly. But things like the CCNA, they take time if you really want to learn the material. It really depends on the class too, I know I've read about a lot of business majors saying their did their entire degree in under 5 months. But when I had the business classes to take I was able to spend a couple hours going over terms, and the rest of it seemed logical and passed the tests quickly. Good luck doing that for almost any of the IT certification exams.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162

I'm currently pursuing the network security degree at WGU. My biggest issue has been procrastination; I could have gotten a lot more classes done this semester. Also, use all of the resources WGU has to offer; they have job listings, professional career development, test preps, course mentor groups (course mentor goes over areas of the subject that you may be having issues with), and they have this person called a student mentor who gets to bug you once a week to make sure you're on track.