Options

Interesting interview anecdote

ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've been the sole technical person in the process for hiring a new "senior endpoint engineer" (desktop-oriented systems engineer) at my company. We went through interviews the other day, and the results were interesting and may add some perspective. Skip to fourth paragraph if TL;DR.

We had two candidates. There were other candidates, but these were the strongest. One had a cleaner resume, a computer science degree, good experience, roughly a decade progressive all within one company with promotions, no certifications. The other had a verbose resume with less formatting, no college, no certs, but great experience. (Bear in mind if I'd seen MCSE Private Cloud or Desktop Infrastructure such a candidate would have been a veritable shoe-in.) I was a little more excited about the former (as was my non-technical boss) but figured the latter would be stronger technically. We did phone screens, and that led to the same perception. The latter candidate was more technical, but seemed weaker with scripting (this involves a lot of automation and packaging, so it's a big deal).

So far, the weaker but better-acumen candidate is definitely winning, even with my unapologetically-technical self. We did face-to-face, and that's where things got interesting. The preferred candidate really flopped on the technical questions. They were mostly high-level, show-me-how-you-think-and-what-you-know, not low-level-memorize-unimportant-stuff gotchas, which I don't really believe in for systems engineers. But he flopped, big time. Candidate #2 had the exact answers I wanted to hear on everything but scripting, as expected. I liked both personalities. Candidate #2 seemed like he'd be a bit more combative on technical decisions, but I'm honestly okay with that. The first guy was more of a follower.

I said I'd hire #1 as a mid-level and mentor him, but not as a peer, and that #2 was preferred for the skill level we need. My boss agreed. However, HR gave a hard no. They asked important questions we didn't (mind you, because it would be redundant, not because we lacked the sense to want to gauge personality and soft skills), and because of his answers, someone who was otherwise a shoe-in got disqualified. He had no certs or college because, almost in his exact words, he thought they were beneath him. He clearly thought he was smarter than everyone else and would be highly combative. He also spent a significant time trashing his former employer and a former manager. Really, really bad moves.

People, don't do this, even if it's how you feel. Politely and diplomatically describe conflicts with former managers. Give humble, relatable reasons for why you feel you forwent whatever degree or certification the employer is looking for. Talk about mentoring, collaborating on solutions, and coming to the best outcome, not about getting your way because you're generally right (even if it's true). For the most part, if you have an interview beyond a junior/entry level, the position is yours to lose by making these kinds of mistakes.
Working B.S., Computer Science
Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
In progress: CLEP US GOV,
Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Nothing else to say but what an idiot. How could anyone possibly think those are good things to say? At my current company HR does not ask candidates any questions, but my manager does ask some soft HR type questions just for these same reasons.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Yep. You have to be a lot more careful. If I'd been asking more of the soft questions and got such a strong impression of primadonna mentality, I'd have cut the interview short. Conflict over the right solution can be productive, but someone who's going to be vindictive, combative, and stubborn is not going to get hired if the interviewers realize it. Those are traits to change if you have them and can, and frankly, to hide them and hold them back if you can't.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you've dodged a major bullet.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    ptilsen wrote: »
    People, don't do this, even if it's how you feel. Politely and diplomatically describe conflicts with former managers. Give humble, relatable reasons for why you feel you forwent whatever degree or certification the employer is looking for. Talk about mentoring, collaborating on solutions, and coming to the best outcome, not about getting your way because you're generally right (even if it's true). For the most part, if you have an interview beyond a junior/entry level, the position is yours to lose by making these kinds of mistakes.

Correct. Had to find out I had a chip on my shoulder about some past issues with bosses after blowing two opportunities this way. Mind you, I didn't directly trash, but I believe I structured answers such that I put fault on the other participants in the stories.

I also have a hard time balancing humble and confident lately. I want to convey that I can do the job and I'm ready to get going, but I don't want to come off as a meek "walking carpet"-type who doesn't know if he will pass muster.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    It's definitely a fine line to walk. Ironically, with the few personality questions I did ask, candidate #2 actually did this fairly effectively when I interviewed him. But HR went for it more directly and in more depth, and he messed up, big time.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I never comment on former employers too much risk not enough reward. Silly if you ask me.
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    This is a reminder that appitude, drive and soft-skills go a long way in the work place. I think sometimes people forget that. No business should want to hire anyone who will burn through bridges faster than lighting up a sheet of toilet paper.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Same issue we discussed maybe a month ago. I honestly don't understand what goes through these candidates' minds with the holier than thou attitude. During interviews a normal person would be the epitome of professional behavior. Better finding out now that several months down the road after they have been hired.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've always landed positions based on softskills first everything else second.
  • Options
    Same here. I get the interview based on my resume, but rarely does the interview get technical. They might do a test or throw a couple questions to make sure I'm not full of it, but the offer pretty much comes from the hiring manager deciding I would work well with everyone.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Funny you mention that one of our HR adamantly wants to disqualify one of my interviewees simply because he/she would not fit based on there 10 minute phone conversation.

This person is on my shortlist of 7 for a very senior admin job and I had them ranked as 1 or 2 technically.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    N2IT wrote: »
    I never comment on former employers too much risk not enough reward. Silly if you ask me.

I certainly try to avoid it, but I was unprepared for a "tell me about" question and I probably dug myself a hole there.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    This is a very upworthy story. Love it.

Reinforces a lot of my IT industry beliefs ;)