Options

Interviewing candidates

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'll be interviewing some virtualization engineer candidates next week. Should I be mean and introduce myself as someone with 4 VCAPs or not? icon_twisted.gif
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    MCITBoundMCITBound Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Haha - Well, if you did - they would know that they can't BS their way through the interview!
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Telling them in advance would be nice.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It would be nice...but I wouldn't :) Let their true character shine!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No sure if you are joking around, but if I went to interview somewhere and someone introduced them self and rattled of their certs first thing I'd probably not want to work with someone like that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @networker,

I'm kidding. One of the candidates I interviewed while back mentioned he searched for me on LinkedIn, then freaked out a bit when he saw my certs.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I say don't. They will recognize your level when you start throwing some advanced level questions at them. I interviewed for a v engineer job that was a bit out of my league at the time and my interviewer did not look like an IT person. For some reason I thought I might be meeting with mgt or HR before I met with the technical guys then all the sudden this guy flips the switch and I was shocked. When I left (after 15 min) he said, "go get your VCP", and shoot me an email after.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    No sure if you are joking around, but if I went to interview somewhere and someone introduced them self and rattled of their certs first thing I'd probably not want to work with someone like that.

Same here. Actually, I had that happen not too long ago. I got cold called by this company based on my LinkedIn profile, and after a couple of phone conversations, went in for a a face to face. Right out of the gate, this guy starts beating me over the head with how well known he and his team are in the open source world, and how large companies such as Amazon are begging them to partner with them, blah blah blah. He suggests I Google him, as well as his senior level guy, and "prepare to be humbled".

I pretty much glazed over at that point and tanked the interview. I thought about cutting things short and leaving - I'm not sure why I didn't, but part of me wishes I did. I guess it was more out of morbid curiosity to see how much worse it would get.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi