Options

Looking for advice on making the switch from working for DOD to private sector

zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

I am looking for advice on making the switch from working for DOD to working in the private sector. I was active duty Air Force from 2008-2012 and for the last almost two years now I have been working as a contractor for DOD/Navy.

I am looking to relocate from VA to NY to be near family and will most likely be looking to move to Upstate NY (Seems to be small job market for IT and lower pay) or NYC as an alternative if I can't find anything comparable to what I make now in VA.

I have about 6 yrs of experience as a Sys Admin, and in various roles, configuration management, backup admin, IA Engineer, etc. I have my BS in IT Systems and I am currently pursuing my MBA with a concentration in Information System Management as well. I have my - MCITP: SA, Sec+, Net+, MCSA, and Win 7 certifications and I have been relentlessly studying to test for my CISSP in December as well.

I am just looking for advice from going to DOD work to the private sector and how to go about making the switch, finding comparable pay and opportunities etc. I also hold a TS/SCI clearance and that's one thing that will suck to not utilize in making the change to the private sector as well, since I know it opens a lot of doors to DOD opportunities.

Thanks to anyone for any insight or advice!

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look for a position with a company that contracts to the DoD. You might be surprised at the different places they are located. You might find one close by. Also, if you will be near West Point, you might find a job there. Also, many state government IT jobs would look favorably on you for having a TS clearance (think Department of Revenue). Lastly, I am sure with your degree, experience, clearance, and certs, you will not have a difficult time finding a job. Good luck.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thanks for the response, I guess I will have to keep an eye out for any government agencies or companies contracting to DOD or other government entities that operate in the Albany/Upstate NY area.

Any other tips or advice on making the transition or opportunities in that area would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As a veteran, I can say that there are a lot of companies that want to hire vets. Given your veteran status, you should be able to get a few more doors cracked open for you. Join LinkedIn, if you haven't already. Follow companies, on LinkedIn, in your target location. Approach IT recruitment firms in the area (Patrick Whelan Associates, Albany, NY Recruiting Firm; http://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/p?orig=TSEO_SN&title=recruiter&f_G=us%3A16&trk=TSEO_SN). You've got the advantage, believe it or not. Capitalize on that advantage and you will have no problem landing a job. Good luck!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    As a IT professional in a similar position and certification situation, you probably won't have "too" much trouble getting a private sector job.
    However, with a TS/SCI clearance...that puts you at a serious advantage over other civilians that don't have one already and opens doors to jobs most can't get, have you tried something like clearancejobs.com or other veteran friendly websites? Stryder's recommendations are solid as well and could lead you to a very secure position.

I would say that your biggest weapons for finding a private sector job are a quality resume (Considered getting one professionally written if your resume is poor or you aren't getting many calls from it) that translates your military skills in to civilian related terms and having a presence on LinkedIn. (Agree with Stryder144) Often employers will look you up on LinkedIn to see if your resume matches your work experience and to get an idea of who they are considering on their team. Impress them with a quality picture of yourself, a professional email address (Your_Name@etc.com), and a resume/profile that accurately represents you and your skills.
  • Options
    As a word of warning, IT Recruiters do not "always" operate in the best interests of "You". They get paid to fill positions for the companies they are working for, not find you a job. If you've heard the term "trying to cram a square peg in to a round hole", that would generally describe "most" of the IT Recruiters out there. Obviously, there are some that are great at their job and work hard to avoid that cliche....but they are the exception I've found. Also, generally when working with a recruiter the position isn't as secure as I'd like it to be. Often a trial period where you get paid less, no insurance, etc. (The recruiters fee for finding you is generally pulled from your $ the first few months).
    I do find it best to secure a position directly with the company as opposed to relying on a recruiter to provide me with jobs. Just my experience on the matter anyway, if you are in desperate need it might be worth it but I try to avoid them altogether if I can help it.
    Also, send a cover letter for jobs you apply for seriously, every time! Plenty of generic cover letter frameworks you can google and adapt to the specific company/position! GL!
  • Options
    Solid advice so far guys, thanks! I figured there are more than a few veterans and DOD contractors on here that may be able to give some insight
  • Options
    I wrote a post previous to the one above, but it hasn't shown up yet? icon_sad.gif
    Definitely agree with Stryder144 about LinkedIn. I haven't successfully used LinkedIn for job hunting, but having an online presence to reinforce what you have on your resume, a picture to go with a name, and some references can help while job hunting! I know my previous employer looked me up on LinkedIn before calling to schedule a interview, so I know people are out there using it!
    I would recommend you assess your resume, see if it accurately captures who you are. Remember, it's designed for you to get calls for interviews, not tell your life story! If you don't like your resume, or feel like it could be better, consider an online resume writing service or perhaps the VA has assistance here for you regarding this.
    And as a TS/SCI holder, websites like clearancejobs or dice.com might be worth looking in to as that clearance opens doors most don't have the ability to get. Personally I have had the most luck with online websites like sites like Indeed.com or Linkup.com, but it just depends on your target position and location. Most of all, good luck! Don't be afraid to apply/interview a few times for practice, obviously try not to use the practice runs for jobs you realllllly want. :) This is hard work but you have an excellent skill/cert set, I imagine you will find something without too much trouble.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply and advice BGraves, I actually went to PM you but it doesn't appear as an option.
  • Options
    Ah apologies, I just joined today and think the moderator has implemented PM delay for new accounts and etc, to avoid spam on the board. Feel free to connect with me here: Ben Graves | LinkedIn