Cheap server

fadeinthemixfadeinthemix Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I was thinking about buying a server so I can get a more hands on feel of running servers.
What would you guys recommend?
Thanks
Daniel West

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dont buy a physical server at all. Use a virtualization software, run any server iso on it and you'll have all you need.

If you do insist on buying a server, buy a used HP DL380 G5 or a similar Dell, something you can use for something else too. I reckon you are wasting money if you dont actually put the server to any real use.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree, for the most part, with Essendon. If you are wanting to tear something apart and rebuild, for practical experience, that is one thing. I suppose hooking a server up to some Cisco gear might be conceptually helpful, though I think that is of limited value. If all you are looking to do is install the server and add services, then the VM route is much more cost effective. Having said that, though, check to make sure your processor supports hardware virtualization. If it doesn't, you will have a hard time. If you are set on getting a physical server, check out eBay. They have great deals on Supermicro, Dell, and HP servers. Stay away from servers with non-x86/x64 architectures. It might be fun to have a DEC Alpha/IBM PPC/Sun (Oracle) Sparc processor-based machine, but you will run into issues finding software and parts. A server with 16GB of ram and an x64 processor will give you maximum versatility.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    What kind of workstation do you have? Instead of spending money on a server that will be loud and require more power, why not just toss 16 GB of RAM in your workstation and an 1 TB HDD? My main PC at home works just fine for a small lab running VMWare Player.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    I used to work at a small/medium computer business and we used to replace old servers for clients frequently and have the old ones in house that we would donate to those that needed them, schools, etc. Perhaps you would have one in your area you could contact and inquire? Might save you some $ if you really wanted to get your hands on a physical server. Just a thought...hope you find something that works!
  • GoodspeedGoodspeed Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would go for this first. MS offer 1-month free trial on Azure:
    Windows Azure Free Trial: Try Windows Azure | Azure Free Trial