Options

WGU BS:IT/Software (starting Nov. 1st 2013)

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I guess. They only tested me with WISC-R as a kid, and it's not a great test in the upper end of things. I capped out 4 or 5 subtests each time, so who knows what the (meaningless) number really is.
  • Options
    bherbiebherbie Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Keep up the hard work! getting me motivated to finish my A.S. and get into WGU and push myself through. BTW do you have a job or is school your job?
    2014 Finished Associate in Science in Database Application Development
    2015 Goal
    A+, Network+, and Security+
  • Options
    No job, just school. I was delivering flowers part time, and decided to change my life. I went cold turkey off smoking and drinking in October, and went to school in November.

Going to schedule the OCA Java 7 exam for Friday. I'm just about done with Mala Gupta's book, and will spend the rest of the week working with the Enthuware practice exams. Within two weeks of passing the Java exam, I plan to submit the remaining physics paper, and take the algebra and leadership exams.

In other news, MRI results for my brother came back yesterday, and he has brain damage. We don't know how severe, because they've been keeping him sedated. I need to get working, in case I need to send money to my mom to help with his care. Thanks, life, good one.
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Within two weeks of passing the Java exam, I plan to submit the remaining physics paper, and take the algebra and leadership exams.

You could pass the leadership exam today. The actual exam is very similar to the pre-assessments.

Best of luck and wishes for your family. You picked the right time to quit drinking. A year like yours is difficult to get through with alcohol in the mix.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    Passed EDV1 (Software 1) today with an 85%. Glad that's out of the way, now I won't miss anything but the useless CIW Perl cert if I transfer to the security track, and I'll gain the Linux+, CCNA, and CCNA Security. Still trying to decide if I want to do the switch.

Next, the second physics paper, then Algebra and Leadership in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on EDV1! I just finished TCP1 and am starting on IWC1/IWT1 now.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Thanks.

I can't recall if I linked this or not, but for IWT1, I found https://wgu.adobeconnect.com/_a814884580/p27scaxf1gz/ very helpful.

As for IWC1, the MindEdge module is great. Easy to read, and has everything you need to pass the exam.
  • Options
    I've been going through the Pearson MyMathLab materials for CIC1 (College Algebra) and decided to give the preassessment a shot today out of boredom. I'm only on section 4 of 16 on the materials, and I scored a 64% on the preassessment. I'm not going to continue with the provided materials, they are far too broad. I paid attention to the preassessment, and I will focus on learning how to solve the types of problems I will see on the real exam. Many of the topics covered by the Pearson materials weren't on the preassessment at all. What a waste of time.

I'm going to go ahead and schedule both exams (CIC1 and BNC1[Organizational Behavior and Leadership]) for a week from Friday. I'll be ready by then, and that'll just leave the project for physics to wrap up the term.

I probably won't be adding any more exam-based courses this term, but I will instead work on English II and maybe the biology paper. I'll be ready to submit them as soon as my second term begins.

I've been seriously rethinking my plan to change to the security track. Yes, I'd get CCNA/CCNA Security/Linux+ covered by Pell, but the more I work on non-programming courses, the more I want to go back and learn more programming/development stuff. I think I'd rather get a job with a BS and worry about MS later on. The only reason I am considering changing to security is to maximize 'free' certs, and ensure entry to the WGU MSISA program, which I really don't think I want to pursue. Between CEH certs being pretty worthless, and the Cisco stuff being outside my area of interest, I think switching from the software track would be a mistake.

I'd appreciate any input folks have to offer :)
  • Options
    How did the Oracle exam go? I have that one coming up in about 6-8 weeks.
  • Options
    It's not too bad. I used nothing but the Gupta book and the Enthuware practice exams. I was scoring mid-upper 60s on the practice exams, and scored an 85 on the real thing. I'd go so far as to say you'll pass the real exam if you can manage a 60 on the Enthuware stuff, as long as you read and understand the explanations accompanying each question.
  • Options
    New plan: Bachelor Degree in Software Development | Online IT Degree

I can't wait to get transferred in. I hope the new program is ready by the time my new term begins on May 1st, otherwise I'll need to take a term break. No big deal, I can just work on English II and the other remaining gened projects while on 'break.'

Of all my classes so far, I think I've enjoyed Java the most, so this new program is definitely for me. Now, they just need to hurry up and get it rolling :)
  • Options
    milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am right behind you! Post here if you find anything out. ;) I have an email in to my adviser to find out more.

My understanding is that the program starts June 1.
  • Options
    I did a 1 month term break last year. A word of advice, print out everything you think you might need. They essentially remove all access that isn't email while you are on break.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you take CIC1 (College Algebra) before AGC1 (Foundations of College Mathematics), assuming you can do that, will CIC1 cancel out AGC1? Is the list of courses you mention on the first page the only ones that can be cancelled out by a higher level course?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I doubt it, although it can't hurt to ask. The list of skippable classes I posted (but not the confusing format) came directly from my mentor. Hopefully he would have mentioned if there was anything else that could be bypassed.
  • Options
    datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    If you take CIC1 (College Algebra) before AGC1 (Foundations of College Mathematics), assuming you can do that, will CIC1 cancel out AGC1? Is the list of courses you mention on the first page the only ones that can be cancelled out by a higher level course?

I asked the same question, my mentor said No, that only applies to some of the technical courses.
  • Options
    Well, the new BS Software Development is only for new students for the first couple months, so I would not be able to transfer until September at the soonest. My next term wouldn't be up until November, so I need to either take a four month term break, or take a light term with just a few classes, and transfer in November.

The only stuff the new plan has in common with my current track are a few remaining geneds and one cert: English II, bio, and communications. I will complete the projects for those during my break, and study for Project+ as well.

I'm more than a little miffed that WGU would prioritize new customers over existing ones, but there's nothing I can do about that. My mentor said he'd try to get me in early, but I can't expect them to make an exception for me.

Anyone need temporary help in the Hartford, CT area? I'll work for minimum wage, as long as the work is development-related.
  • Options
    I can never sleep the night before exams. I have Algebra and Organizational Behavior and Leadership in the morning. Feeling pretty confident I'll pass both by 10-15 points, which is just fine with me. I did final review all day, and there are just a few algebra concepts that aren't clicking. I've written off those points, rather than stress myself out worrying about it. Pass with a 75 looks the same on my transcripts as pass with 95, and if I need those concepts later on, I can always learn them as I go.

I really have no idea what to do about my program transfer. Wait for the software development program to become available, or finish my current program and go for dual degrees (IT and Software Development), I just can't decide. Ugh. I still want to add a business degree and MBA to my education as well, but that's a story for a couple years from now when I have some experience.
  • Options
    Alright, done with CIC1 (Algebra) and BNC1 (Organizational Behavior and Leadership).

I studied for CIC1 with the preassessment as a guide and Khan Academy to learn the topics. Score 89%, cut score 67%, took 67 minutes. I used an old TI-83 calculator and it worked fine for this exam.

BNC1, I took the preassessment and scored 66%, while the cut score is 51%, so I just read my weakest chapter and scheduled the exam. Scored 76%. This one is mostly common sense, and an easy 95%+ if anyone cares to actually read the whole book and learn the vocabulary. I didn't.

Next up is that lab report for physics, and then.. I have no idea.

edit: Total so far: 3 CU transferred in, 13 bypassed, 70 earned. Total 86 CU done, 38 to go.
  • Options
    jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahh! Since BNC1 was so easy for you. I might just give the pre-test a try tomorrow. If I can pass that test and security + before jun 30th. I'll have 9 Classes Left. Might knock out Project + as well this term.. Then its mostly windows cert classes for me.
  • Options
    I have submitted my nemesis, UBT1 task two. Hopefully it will pass and I can get on with things.

I've come to a semi-final decision regarding my degree plan. I'm going to go full steam ahead. I will finish my IT-Software degree. If I finish it with at least 90 days left, I can enter a new degree program and get three classes free (two at first, then a third if I pass those) without having to start a new term. The goal is to catapult myself into the new software development degree with a full head of steam.

The only catch is that WGU requires at least 30 new credits to graduate with a second degree. That means if the new program doesn't have at least 30 credits that aren't satisfied by transfer of their existing IT-Software degree, I cannot enter it. If that happens, my only recourse will be to delay until a third term in November, then transfer to the new program. There is no restriction on how many credits you have remaining, so if I run out the clock without finishing everything, I can transfer and get the new degree. I don't want to have to do it this way, but if I can only pick one degree, it will be BS:Software Development, not BS:IT/Software.

Hopefully, I can go for both, but if not, at least now I have a plan.

More immediately, I'm deciding whether to rock out Javascript, Perl, or do more geneds. I think JS will be easy, I already know much of the syntax, loop constructs, and more. No idea about Perl. I think English II is going to be a drag, so I might power through that one next. Then there's also Project+. Maybe I should knock out that one before my term ends in a few weeks?

Whatever I'm going to do before May, I need to decide by the 15th, that's the deadline for adding courses this term.
  • Options
    Perl is my next class. I can't take it until the first week of May. It's a pretty simple language that is similar to PowerShell if you are familiar with it. I have no doubt you could learn and pass the test in 2 weeks or less. I read the entire learning plan in a single day and was able to retain most of it.
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Super excited. I spoke to the registrar directly, and he assured me that if I graduate the current program, I can enroll in the software development program, and there will be enough CU for a second degree.

That means I'm jumping into high gear. I need to finish the current program by the end of July in order to qualify for free acceleration into a second program.

Next up, biology, communications, and SQL.
  • Options
    Oops, forgot to update. I've gone to that happy place again, studying like crazy. I decided to add a couple courses at the last minute, so CDC1 (bio) and TJC1 (communications) are scheduled for a week from today. I took the preassessments in the past week and scored 78% on TJC1, cut score 65%, and scored 59% on CDC1, cut score 58%. I'm focusing on biology, of course. Hopefully I'll do a bit better on the real exams :)
  • Options
    OK, today was exam day. CDC1 (biology) and TJC1 (communications) are done.

CDC1 had a cut score of 56%, I scored 88%. I spent the past week studying for this, using the Mindtap stuff provided by WGU, as well as Khan Academy and a bit of Google. The preassessment is very similar to the actual exam. Spend extra time making sure you know the steps of mitosis, meiosis, photosynthesis, and the cell cycle.

TJC1 I basically coasted through, maybe 5 hours total study, passed with a 74%, cut score 65%. If you read the basic definitions and concepts, common sense can carry you the rest of the way through this one.

That makes 92 CU done, 32 to go. I've earned 76, skipped 13, and transferred in 3 (CIW 1D0-610 cert). Cost for this term: $38.03 per earned CU. Not bad.

Next up, English II, and the performance tasks for biology and communications. After that, Perl, Javascript, Database I (skipping fundamentals), tech writing, and capstone. I don't know any Perl yet, but I have been studying SQL. The Javascript syntax is very similar to Java, so although the languages aren't really related, they do have several things in common, so this should be a quick one to learn. Hoping to finish the gened performance stuff by the second week in May, the remaining cert exams by the second week in June, and the degree by late July.

After that.. job search and second degree in the new software development track :)
  • Options
    Antonio72Antonio72 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Cost for this term: $38.03 per earned CU. Not bad.

Not bad indeed! Your progress absolutely amazes and inspires me. Absolutely incredible.
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Ratbuddy, I continue to be amazed. Keep up the good work.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    Thanks guys. It's always a bright spot in my day when people stop in with encouragement :)

Working on CDP1 (biology lab) now. The provided Late Nite Labs resource is funny, it's a drag and drop science lab. I've been making sure to throw a few extra water baths and thermometers in the recycle bin under the bench when I'm done with each experiment. Hopefully the graders have a sense of humor about it :P
  • Options