Options

Getting burnt out...how to get my mojo back???

So I work security (infosec) and I really do enjoy what I do because I can see it make a difference. But as of late I have just been unhappy for some reason. I feel that I am not doing what I actually love (art) and that I am just wasting my time working for the man. I am rational enough to know I can't really make a living off of art and to keep it a hobby, but how can I refocus and get my career back on track?

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Oh and on a side note check this out and tell me what you think of my art...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACoA5jk14ZE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Same here, I should be gallivanting around the globe with young, beautiful women... instead stuck in this position. Responsibility/Reality stinks.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Nice batman! I'm a fan! :D
    Best advice I could give anyone is, keep working to pay the bills while pursuing your hobby until you can build a fan base and increase your skill. Then maybe you could look at that transition from hobby to career with a nice IT skillset as a backup! :) I don't know if artists have certifications like IT people do but maybe it's worth looking in to! ;) Or a few classes or local events?
    For me, I am a full time IT guy in and outside of work and my hobbies usually revolve around that, but I find that "unplugging" regularly, exercise/walking, reading for fun and League of Legends all provide excellent opportunities for not getting burnt out.
    Best of luck to you, the art is quite intriguing. Maybe you could find an online game that allows users to create their own content and design some skins or something?
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    I have to constantly remind myself that before something is a job, it is fun. Afterwards, it is harder to still enjoy it. For example, I loved the fitness field and pursued it as a career. Three years later, I'm burnt out and want nothing to do with it. Likewise, remind yourself that if you were spending all day having to make art to make a living, there is a decent chance you might not enjoy it anymore. The dose of art you are currently getting right now might be perfect for your happiness.

As far as being burnt out on the job, perhaps you can search for a new job that is more interesting? If this is too extreme, maybe propose new projects that you find interesting?

Also, remember that working for the man isn't really as bad as we all think it is. If it weren't for our economy, we'd all be farming or hunting our food. Likewise, we'd be building our own shelters and warding off wild animals, crazy people, etc. That being said, if you're willing to live frugally, you might be able to make a living part-time. This won't work for everyone, but you could limit yourself to a small condominium, inexpensive used cars, inexpensive clothing, make your own food, etc.
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    I think all of this stems from a steady stream of bullshit people are force-fed since they are young that in magical christmasland you are supposed to love your job and work. You don't need to love your job or field. You need to find it interesting, not hate or loathe it, and be driven to be great at it. You are not inferior in anyway for not having the same amount of joy at work that you do when making art! I don't go home and build networks "for fun". I go home and study and lab because I'm driven to get better, I find the work interesting, and I want to make more money. Someone who "loves" networking is not superior to me because they love it. That's just a ridiculous notion that makes the majority of people feel bad for something that is in no way a failing on their part. If you want to spend your day feeling bad about something, feel bad about things in your control. Like you work ethic, your study habits, your attention to detail, etc. People only pay others to do things they can't do or don't want to do. If people are paying you to do something "fun" the only reason is because you're extremely good at it. I don't care what field your in, if you're in the top 0.01% the process of getting there WAS NOT FUN. It took discipline and hard work over a long period of time. If you want to get paid for being an artist the process will not be fun and the joy you experience in it now will be diminished greatly.

One thing I do agree on is working in a job or field that provides something good, useful, or meaningful to the community. This can make work a lot more enjoyable.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, nice bit of advice pert. I too have been feeling the same way as the OP. It's been about a year of this feeling and I kept thinking that there was something wrong with me.

I was feeling depressed and thinking that maybe I just need to find something else to do (become an ice cream truck driver?). I realized that it truly is the man keeping you down and I had to redirect my passion a bit. I started doing Internet Marketing and have been LOVING that. We all need to be creative or we'll just rot away in complacency. See if you can find another niche at your job to be able to contribute and use your creative vibe.

In the meantime, don't stop your art! The batman looks awesome :D. You should start an etsy shop and start posting them to pinterest for promoting (well there I go with my Internet marketing stuff :P...)
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    As a token of sympathy, lol, I know many IA related individuals within DOD and most of them are overworked, frazzled, and burnt out. It really is a field to do for "A while" and then find something else or take those skills to a company that won't try to kill you with work. :)
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    5502george wrote: »
    So I work security (infosec) and I really do enjoy what I do because I can see it make a difference. But as of late I have just been unhappy for some reason. I feel that I am not doing what I actually love (art) and that I am just wasting my time working for the man. I am rational enough to know I can't really make a living off of art and to keep it a hobby, but how can I refocus and get my career back on track?

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Oh and on a side note check this out and tell me what you think of my art...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACoA5jk14ZE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have been in a similar rut, job is going fine but not great, and I have seriously squandered a lot of time towards finishing my degree. I have a great family, amazing wife and 2 kids, but just feel like I am in a slump. Over the summer I have been making some strides in some areas such as getting back a regular exercise routine but still cant manage to get myself fully back on track.

Art was also my main interest before getting into IT and I often times wish I was doing something more artistic for a career.

No advice here, just relating. Guess we just have to keep on keeping on.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    info sec w/ just a security+ cert?
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »

Its possible. Some of the most capable people I've met in InfoSec have been a bit lacking in the cert department. Plus...DOD doesn't require much in the way of certs....as long as you are 8570 compliant.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    gbdavidx wrote: »

To work for the DoD you only need a Security + certification. I've interviewed plenty of people with a mind numbing amount of certifications, who have absolutely no personality skills or even experience in the subject they're certified in. I passed on them for someone with a better personality, more experience, and less certifications.

To OP, I agree with others here, from 9-5 it's just a job, don't make it your life. I believe you need a vacation to clear your head and think about what you want to do as a career. Also, you can try out volunteering for non-profits (try the local food bank or homeless shelters, they always need extra help) to fufill that need to make a difference.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Verities wrote: »
    To work for the DoD you only need a Security + certification. I've interviewed plenty of people with a mind numbing amount of certifications, who have absolutely no personality skills or even experience in the subject they're certified in. I passed on them for someone with a better personality, more experience, and less certifications.

To OP, I agree with others here, from 9-5 it's just a job, don't make it your life. I believe you need a vacation to clear your head and think about what you want to do as a career. Also, you can try out volunteering for non-profits (try the local food bank or homeless shelters, they always need extra help) to fufill that need to make a difference.
    That gives me hope, definitely need to work on my certs!!!
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do something that takes you out of your comfort zone in regards to your work? Ill let you decide what that is...maybe quitting your job with the man and attempting an independent contractor? I don't know you or what you want, but see if you can put yourself in a position to HAVE to learn a new thing in your trade.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Get a hobby and throw some real time into it. For me it's gaming. If I start just hating whatever I am studying, I play a few rounds of whatever strikes my fancy and return back to it with a clear mind. I also might hit the lights, grab some headphones and listed to music for 20 minutes. Just gotta find what works for you as a release.

Also, IDK if you are like I was or not, but I use to never ever take vacations. Here recently I have been and I can honestly say that a long weekend is enough to spin down to zero and feel refreshed. I usually take a day or two every month and a half. Before that I just tried to power through my burn and it never really worked out.