Options

Having 2nd thoughts about getting the CCNP-Security

flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently passed the CCNA -Security a few weeks back and was so stoked for the 4 exam gauntlet, but I haven't been finding very many jobs for the CCNP Security like have for the CCNP R&S. I'm aiming for the following job titles:

JR Network Security Engineer
JR Network Security Analyst
JR Network Administrator

I'm now looking at perhaps tackling the CEH, CISSP, and the VCP 5 (only if Nova offers some sort of discount or class). Perhaps it's best to stay with the CCNA, CCNA Security and focus more on getting the higher end security certs the CISSP and the R&S with the CCNP. I'm aiming for the JR roles due to my experience level. I want to be more proficient in routing and switching with a layer of security, and virtualization. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks
B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
A.S Network Server Administration
M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)

Comments

• Options
    diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A Potential Exam schedule:

1. )CCNP (Route|TSHOOT|Switch) "I hear a lot of people say this should be done before CCNP security"
    2.) CCNP Security (vpn|IPS|Secure|firewalls)
    3.) CCIE
    4.) CISSP associate.

*If you have the money i would go for some SANS certs like GCFW, GCIA, and GCIH --> You'll learn about managed security.

I'm sure Keatron, JDMurray, or another person will have more information for you. Your already on your way though.
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I am of two minds on this... I started down the CCNP Security path myself and was almost ready to take the IPS and VPN tests, but then decided to go to WGU and now I am having a hard time getting back into it. I WANT this cert, but I am not driven for it right now.

As you said, there are not a lot of jobs specifically looking for it, BUT there are a lot of jobs, typically Network Engineers, that want VPN, IPS or firewall experience. Maybe you should look into that a little more? Don't focus on the Jr. stuff, it just limits you. Also, do you want to go into the security roles exclusively, or do you want to do network admin work PLUS the security stuff?

Like you, I too want to build my R&S credentials, they really are the foundation of everything else, but it is hard to decide what order to do all of this in. I will have some time to focus on one of these in a few months, but I am already starting down a new rabbit hole at work as I look into Voice and maybe wireless.

Who knows, maybe in two years I end up as CCNP R&S and Security with CCNA Voice and Wireless...
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    flt0nujr wrote: »
    I recently passed the CCNA -Security a few weeks back and was so stoked for the 4 exam gauntlet, but I haven't been finding very many jobs for the CCNP Security like have for the CCNP R&S. I'm aiming for the following job titles:

JR Network Security Engineer
    JR Network Security Analyst
    JR Network Administrator

I'm now looking at perhaps tackling the CEH, CISSP, and the VCP 5 (only if Nova offers some sort of discount or class). Perhaps it's best to stay with the CCNA, CCNA Security and focus more on getting the higher end security certs the CISSP and the R&S with the CCNP. I'm aiming for the JR roles due to my experience level. I want to be more proficient in routing and switching with a layer of security, and virtualization. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks

You typically need to transition from mid level network engineering to get into network security. So getting R/S first would help. I don't see much at all for JR security people anywhere.
  • Options
    flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm probably just going to get into thug mode and bust the CCNP R/S and stay some what current on Firewall,VPN stuff. No need to go into CCNP Security path by itself alone and end up with a smaller selection of job offers. I'm only grabbing certs that are relevant to all categories, and those are:

CCNP R/S
    CISSP
    CEH ???
    VCP 5 (If I can get it on the cheap)
    B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
    A.S Network Server Administration
    M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)