Options

Profile of an IT Worker

Here is an interesting read. The article gives an idea of what education IT professionals have.

A Statistical Profile of IT Workers - WSJ.com

Here is a quote from the article: "Forget the stereotype. For one thing, most of them don't have college degrees in computer science, technology, engineering or math"

Comments

• Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Interesting post, thanks for sharing. I think it's interesting that although IT professionals don't necessarily have IT degrees, they do "NEED"(imo) to be constantly learning whether on the job or in their off time....at least to progress and move up.
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting read. I've found the part about not having an IT related degree or no degree at all to be true. In my last position, everyone in my entire department either had a degree in another filed or no degree at all. I myself don't have a degree either. A few of my coworkers now have non IT related degrees.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting to read since I don't have a degree at the moment but am 5 classes shy of a BA in communications (voted #1 worthless degree iirc:)).

Ive only ever come across one coworker with a degree tech related and that was when I was a help desk tech.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When I see articles like that, with stats like that...then look at job postings and see that almost every single job posting requires a 2 or 4 year IT degree I have to wonder...what creates this disconnect?

If you were to create this same article based on data from job postings this would paint an entirely different picture.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've landed interviews where an IT degree was listed as "mandatory" or "required."

Sometimes experience can trump a degree.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    When I see articles like that, with stats like that...then look at job postings and see that almost every single job posting requires a 2 or 4 year IT degree I have to wonder...what creates this disconnect?

I believe it's more of a resume filter to assess readiness for the position. They might ask for a related degree OR related experience. Most employers probably want people who can do the task they are given. An unrelated degree will not prepare people for the job, but having an unrelated degree doesn't mean one isn't prepared for the job. You can still send the resume in. At worst, they will not call or email you back. The wording of the resume and the skills you emphasize can make a huge impact.
    If you were to create this same article based on data from job postings this would paint an entirely different picture.

This article was about IT professionals that are already employed in the industry. The point of it was to give people an idea about the backgrounds IT professionals have.

I would recommend people with no work experience to get related degrees. However, it all boils down to choice and circumstance. It seems to me that it's better to get related experience in an entry level position BEFORE you get a degree.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    However, it all boils down to choice and circumstance. It seems to me that it's better to get related experience in an entry level position BEFORE you get a degree.

Simultaneous degree and work experience is actually the real magic ticket imo.
  • Options
    ^Poly - Completely agree, in ideal situations this is the best case scenario.
    However we often find ourselves not in the "best case" scenario and have to make due. I think getting a degree allows a foot in the door that experience may not, and vice versa. Obviously not every employer out there perceives employee value the same way. Some managers may prefer someone with the experience, where others may prefer a college degree holder that is willing to learn on their own or on the job. I do fully agree, if you can get a degree and experience, that is the way to go!
    I myself had quite a number of years of experience when I left the Navy (and many before on my own) but in order to be taken seriously in the areas I was pursuing, I knew I needed to finish my degree as well. I do think the degree allows you to go farther/faster if you have the experience to back it up.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    --chris-- wrote: »

That is just a standard line in job ads that means nothing in my experience. Pretty much every job I've ever had 'required' a degree according to the job posting.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Polynomial wrote: »
    Simultaneous degree and work experience is actually the real magic ticket imo.

This I agree with. Many college students, however, don't have much life experience and may end up getting the "wrong" degree.

@BGraves - What is your degree in? Based on your experience, what does the military think about unrelated degrees for their IT jobs?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The most common profile of IT workers I see is narrow at the shoulders, hunched, little pot belly, skinny legs. Oh wait, we aren't talking about physical profile...
  • Options
    TerrieTerrie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As someone currently looking as part of a career change, I'd say every ad requires "Degree or equivalent experience." After all, what does a degree show beyond basic knowledge and a willingness to learn?
  • Options
    To be fair, I hadn't the faintest idea what to get my degree in before I joined the Navy. I had always been good with computers but had no verifiable experience working with them to prove to someone I could do it. When I joined the Navy, I was told I could pick my job so I picked IT knowing I wanted to get out after getting that provable experience. While in the Navy, I saw many higher level enlisted and officers getting related degrees for their field, as it would give them a leg up over the other guy for advancement purposes. I didn't see many go for a degree outside their related job but it may have been because the military does offer TA for job related classes, not something non related. I did pursue an online AA degree at a Navy friendly school related to computer information systems so I could also have increased advancement opportunities (an AA is a few points towards advancement), and when I got out I immediately went back to school to finish my BS. I don't think that the degree was "vital" to my success or that I really learned anything, to me it was more a matter of just doing something that I knew would give me an advantage as I was looking for a job. The same with having a cert (which is really only a piece of paper too), it made me stand out against someone that didn't have that degree.

As for an unrelated degree, I think if you can demonstrate to a potential employer that you have the skills necessary to succeed in the position they have open, most will give you a chance. It would need to be reflected in your previous experience, certs, willingness to learn, or be willing to start in a lower level position and work your way up. Of course, some employers may have strict hiring guidelines that determine what degrees are acceptable and which aren't and I imagine you are also then competing against someone who also applied for the same position that may have the degree they are asking for, which would make your chances tougher.