LPIC-1 Preparations

me874yme874y Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
what linux distro should i use? im using solaris now. ive read somewhere that i should use a linux distro where its the base of the exam. what distro should i use? TIA

Comments

  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Explore_Dream_Discover Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll want to use a Debian flavored and a RHEL flavored Distro, as the exam touches on both.

    I would recommend Ubuntu (Debian based) and CENTOS (RHEL based).

    Depending on your experience with Linux, I also highly recommend:

    Books: CompTIA Linux+ Exam LX0-101 and Exam LX0-102; Linux in a Nutshell 7th ed

    Video: http://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/course/lpi-linux-lpic-1-102
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I am using:

    Debian 7
    CentOS 6.4

    for my preparations. That way you are covering both package management flavours as mentioned above.
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    I just passed this not too long ago and I used Linux Mint for about 90% of my studying/labbing and CentOS for the other 10%. Good luck!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)
    Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required: SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • me874yme874y Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    You'll want to use a Debian flavored and a RHEL flavored Distro, as the exam touches on both.

    I would recommend Ubuntu (Debian based) and CENTOS (RHEL based).

    Depending on your experience with Linux, I also highly recommend:

    Books: CompTIA Linux+ Exam LX0-101 and Exam LX0-102; Linux in a Nutshell 7th ed

    Video: LPI Linux LPIC-1 102 and CompTIA Linux+ Video Training Online | CBT Nuggets

    thanks for these free videos. i thought you need to pay first for videos of cbtnuggets, how come this is free? :) doesnt matter anyway.. thank you so much. im downloading centos now.. way to go guys.
  • SneakySSneakyS Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    me874y wrote: »
    thanks for these free videos. i thought you need to pay first for videos of cbtnuggets, how come this is free? :) doesnt matter anyway.. thank you so much. im downloading centos now.. way to go guys.

    It isn't for free. You only get 2 minutes preview of each vid.
  • me874yme874y Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah i was wrong icon_sad.gif good thing i know where to download those videos :D
Sign In or Register to comment.