Options

Certification Track

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,
I was just wanting some input on this one. I can upgrade to Windows 8 (70-689) from my windows Certs or jump straight into Server 2012 but believe that the Windows 8 Certificate will help with exposure to the new look and feel that Microsoft have made.
What are your views? During the working day I'd more often touch windows 8 then server 2012.

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My vote goes to Server 2012. Especially if you are already Win7 certified.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Server 2012 all the way. I am only going to take 8 if required by my employer or some future certification track (similar to MCITP:EA) or, at the very least, wait for more widespread adoption of the OS.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm gonna put another vote for Windows Server 2012 :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I would say first one, then the other. You're able to upgrade to Windows 8 with the 70-689 exam, and you're able to upgrade to MCSA Windows Server 2012 with exam 70-417 so long as that MCSA Windows 7 credential shows on your MCP transcript, (which it should since you have your MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator cert.)

The Windows 8 exam will be a shorter journey, since it's a natural progression from what you're already doing. The pros are that you'd be up-to-date with your current skill set as far as your certs are concerned, it would probably only be short while of studying to prepare, and it may apply to future certs down the road.

The Windows Server 2012 exam will be a much steeper climb. You're going to have to start from the ground up, really learn about Active Directory, Group Policy, and the other various roles available in the OS. You will be, effectively, studying for the whole MCSA cert in one exam, since you don't have as much experience or training on the server-side, judging by your certs. Heck, depending on how much you have to cover, it might even be worth your time to simply take the 70-410, 70-411, 70-412 exams separately. The positives about going for the MCSA Windows Server 2012 is that you'll probably find yourself doing more interesting work than on the desktop-side, you will most likely see a bump in pay as you take on more responsibilities, and you'll have a greater chance for upward mobility as a sysadmin.

My ultimate advice: do both. Take the Windows 8 exam now, then start working on the 2012 path. It's not going to hurt you to have both certs, and the Windows 8 test shouldn't take you very long since you seem to already be working with it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.