Options

Starting Out

MrDrewMrDrew Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off I'd like to say HELLO EVERYONE! icon_cheers.gif
I am currently in the middle of a career change from being a senior video editor with a news organization to jumping head long into the IT field. I have 5 BAs and are all useless so I want to head into something I enjoy and that has the chance for ever continuing learning and advancement. I've been breaking/fixing computers for the last 18 years and finally am getting my A+ after much encouragement from my brother in law. I am doing A+ then Net+ then Sec+ before the end of the year to try and jump into an entry level position and then move up and on from there. I am also looking into MCSE and VCP. Am I on the right track so far and should I fit any other certifications in there along the way? My experience is all home based helping friends and family as far as tech support and I helped build the servers and did the networking for two of the local colleges in my area when they were upgrading. I look forward to joining this awesome community.

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have 5 bachelors? In what??? I hope somebody else paid for those...

Sounds like a decent plan to me. Virtualization is becoming a hot skill to have.
  • Options
    MrDrewMrDrew Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Electronic Media Production, Multimedia Journalism, Graphic Design, Interior Design and Philosophy. Started in on a MA in journalism and realized half way through it wasn't useful to me and after submitting my project got told I should completely re-do it after interviewing and editing 100 interviews >.< I'm also in the process of learning Python.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Python is a great first language
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It sounds like a good plan and virtualization is a great skill to have as it's only going to get more popular over time. :)

I'm currently working on my VCP cert wise welcome to the community :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63