Options

Targets for 2014

1235»

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    That is no small feat and you should be proud of your accomplishments. I have 2 small kids and the only time I can truly have some quiet time to study is during my lunch break from work ( I eat w/in 15 minutes then spend the 45 reading) and while waiting for my son on his karate class (1 hr of reading in the van). Hard work but we do what we have to do.

Same here. With three kids I basically study on lunch break, and on the weekends during nap time. I tried Safaribooks and may be tempted to subscribe so I can get some reading in at work (shhhhhh).
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    FalasiFalasi Member Posts: 115
    2014:
    ISSEP

not sure what to do next... OSCP or CFE or maybe focus on higher education...
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    April 2014: Finish Associates
    Mid May:Finish CCNA Security
    Beginning June: Start first term at WGU
    End August: CCNP ROUTE
    Mid October: CCNP SWITCH
    End November: CCNP TSHOOT
    Assuming things go smoothly :D
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2014 Goals (revised):

Start my Bachelor's degree at WGU
    VCP-Cloud
    Linux+
    CCNA: Security
    Project+
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    I thought these types of posts were banned until after thanksgiving?

Looks like I never gave a serious reply to this thread.

Plan was to complete 4 courses and 4 exams. The courses were the four remaining courses towards the Homeland Security certificate I started in Fall '13. Only one of the exams was picked at the time and it was a proprietary security cert that was being payed for by work. the other three would by some combination of MS, Citrix, and Security certs.

So far I have 3 of 4 courses complete. Taking 2 class for a BS in IS in the fall and possibly the 4th HLS course.

Still on track to complete the security cert, but may only get to one other exam.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    Goals for this year are Linux+ and CCNA. So far I've completed the Linux+ and hopefully will be sitting the CCENT at the end of this month.
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    Goal for this year was MCSA 2012. Passed the 1st to exams but I'm burnt out with MS exams, so will leave the last one till next year. Passed the BCvRE last week and might aim for the Linux + before Xmas
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is a guilty compulsion of mine to log onto Techexams.net while taking my class breaks. A lot of the threads here are both quite informational and very motivational. It makes me smile when I read posts of those proud of passing a certain exam to attain a certification. I avoided posting those myself not just out of modesty on the forums, but because I mainly get my congratulations from classmates and instructors at my college. I also wanted to avoid appearing as someone who "knows it all" or deserves praise, but I am far from that and choose to leave that to the professionals on the forums. I mainly study to reinforce learning something and take the exams prove what knowledge I have attained, hopefully to an employer some day. Anyway, the main point that I wanted to write was how inspirational it was to see a checklist in a lot of members' signatures slowing being checked off over time that I also decided to create one for myself earlier in the year to hold myself accountable... or mainly to remind me (to study) after every time I post.

I achieved my CCNA: R&S on April 28th 2014 of this year, however, I don't really know if that counts since that was my third attempt and I was studying for about 7 month before I took it again in April. Most of my classmates took their A+, Network+, and Security+ during my many months of studying (started February of 2013) and attained better jobs while attending classes. I decided to play "catch up" in a way and studied for the both A+ exams. While studying for the CCNA in April, I took a hardware and configuration class (A+ prep course) in college. I did some studying and watch a lot of Professor Messer videos and attained my A+ certification in May.

Even though instructors told me that I didn't need to waste my time with the Network+ certification, I studied for it anyway because I felt comfortable with the material and spent two weeks reviewing the material before I passed the exam in early June. I then spent a few weeks studying material for the Security+ exam before I past the exam in late June. I also wanted to note that I was mainly reviewing the material since I took prep courses in college for both of those certifications in 2013.

During that time I was taking a class covering EMC's Information Storage and Management. I took the opportunity to study that material as well (during my Security+ studies) while taking the class. However, on the last day of class, I was offered a preparation pretest for the EMC ISM E10-001 exam, I found that I did very poor- below 50%. I learned that vendor equipment knowledge was my weak point. Before I decided to study more in depth on that material, I was given the opportunity to utilize the online lab for the VMware VCP5 course that was offered next term. I took the class back in October and felt than my knowledge on that material was waning. I thought it best to take advantage of the opportunity and study for the VCP5: Data Center Virtualization (VCP 510 exam).

I did some labbing, read my course book, reviewed my notes, and watched some videos. However, when I took the exam on the 10th, I scored 290 out of 500 with 300 as the passing score. It was rather upsetting and I was not allowed to take the exam for 14 days. I decided to make note of what I was weak in and used different materials to study from. My birthday was the 23rd, a day before my retake. I told others that I wanted to push off any celebrations until after Thursday so I can cram on that day before my exam. Why does my social life suffer while studying for certifications and attending college? On the 24th, I passed the exam with a 420 (thinking I would score less) and was emailed on the 26th that I attained the certification.

Currently, I am studying for my CCNA: Security exam. So in around 4 months or so I was able to achieve 5 certifications. I am unsure whether I will pursue the EMC ISM certification, but I do intend to go for Linux+ by the end of September. Hopefully by then, PearsonVue will be able to offer Microsoft certifications so I can debate about going for a MCSA. Depending on which classes I need to take or what is offered, I will most likely be getting my undergraduate degree in Computer & Information Science in either November or December this year.

2014 Certification Summary:
    Cisco CCNA Routing & Switching: April 28 (3rd Attempt)
    Comptia A+: May 23
    Comptia Network+: June 6
    Comptia Security+: June 23
    VMware VCP5-DCV: July 10 (FAILED)
    VMware VCP5-DCV: July 23 (2nd Attempt)

I have noticed an odd pattern with my certifications. It has taken me 3 attempts to pass a Cisco certification, 1 attempt to pass a CompTIA, and 2 attempts to pass a VMware certification (the VCAs took 2 attempts each). I strive to pass my CCNA: Security on the first attempt and break that pattern. I am aware that these are associate or entry level certifications, but I thought that it would be unwise to study for anything above that until I am employed with some experience to back that up. I just want to be qualified for entry level of IT, whichever field that would be. Thank you for taking the time to read this. bowing.gif

EDIT:
    I am curious to see what other members targets that were accomplished now that more than half of 2014 done.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    deathdynamicsdeathdynamics Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Completed
    CCNA R&S - April

In-Progress
    MCSA: Server 2012 - August
    VCP5-DCV - December
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2014 is almost over. How did you do with your goals?
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    Plan was to complete 4 courses and 4 exams. The courses were the four remaining courses towards the Homeland Security certificate I started in Fall '13. Only one of the exams was picked at the time and it was a proprietary security cert that was being payed for by work. the other three would by some combination of MS, Citrix, and Security certs.

I ended up completing 3 of 4 courses for the Homeland Security Certificate and 3 courses towards my BS, so 6 courses total.
    I did complete the security certification, but nothing else. I wish I would have completed one or two more exams, but considering work was a disaster for 6 months, I'm happy with what I accomplished.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I missed mine because I had to reschedule my CCIE lab twice. Don't underestimate the lab kids.

Also remember that life has a habit of getting in the way too, which it has in rather large fashions this year - but I won't go into that. Going to hit it harder, stronger and faster in 2015 - you just watch me go.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The only thing I didn't accomplish was my VCP-DV as the WGU MSISA got all my attention.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Well,

My targets started as CCNP and CEH then I realized those didn't align with my goals. So I simply focused on school and my job.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2013 Goals - CCNA, CCNA:Security, New job

Achieved: CCNA, New job

2014 Goals - GCIH and whatever else work might want me to go after.

Achieved: GCIH, finished the eLearnSecurity course and started the SANS SEC560 course.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Didn't achieve any of my goals. Came reasonably close to being Obama millionaire.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon wrote: »
    My biggest 2014 target is fatherhood.

On the cert front, I might work on another VCAP, the DTA, (after I finish off this sinister creature - the DCD). I am considering upgrading to the MCSE: SI too. Just to keep myself updated, there is really no need. I intend to work on labbing up Hyper-v too, more and more jobs ask for some Hyper-v experience these days in my area.

I also aim to become proficient in PowerShell/PowerCLI. You dont make a good engineer if you cant script, I believe. And my scripting skills suck.

Got the DCD and DTA this year. Worked on my PowerCLI skills and got a little better than I was at the beginning of this year but far from where I'd like to be. No other goals achieved, sadly.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com