Dell Desktop Support Technician - Anyone ever had this job?

minitminit Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
There is an opening in my area to work for Dell as a desktop support tech @ a medical facility, I'm assuming a hospital.

Has anyone here worked for them in this type of role?
How was it?
What type of salary is to be expected?

Your input is much appreciated!

Comments

• dspielmandspielman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should study up on the HIPAA compliance if you are seriously interested in this job. Would make a big difference when interviewing if you've never worked in medical.
  • minitminit Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have 8 years of experience in healthcare IT. Sorry should have specified that.

Anyone ever worked for Dell in this role?
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you post the details of the job posting? That would help us give a better insight.

Salary can depends on a lot of thing; your experience, where you live, the job responsibilities, etc.
    Here is the description. But I am more so looking for first hand experience:

Role Responsibilities:

- Responsible for on-site and/or remote installation, implementation, maintenance, troubleshooting

and/or repair of desktops, notebooks, printers, and associated peripherals

-Serves as company liaison with customer on administrative and technical matters

-Provide level 1 technical support and incident management service desk functions

-Reviews, troubleshoots and approves operational quality desktops, notebooks, printers, and

associated peripherals

-Installs, maintains and optimizes desktop /notebook configurations at customer sites

-Diagnoses and resolves product performance problems

-Performs maintenance and repair services

-Ensures customer satisfaction by advising customers on preventive maintenance and configurations

which may impact product performance

-Instructs customers in the operation and maintenance of the system

Qualifications

Requirements:

-Undergraduate degree and 0-2 years relevant experience

-5+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience

-Experience with end-user support process for desktops and laptops (first-call resolution, problem

tracking via automated system, prioritizing work requests)

-Familiar with HP printer management, up to and including physical replacement, network

programming, and device setup

-Working knowledge of Windows Server, Active Directory, Terminal Services, Group Policy and/or

related technologies

-Working knowledge of server hardware, cabling, and data center infrastructure

-Prior experience with customer support and/or helpdesk experience

-Prior experience with desktop support

Preferences:

-Undergraduate degree in IT or related field

-Microsoft or A+ Certification desired

-Dell Warranty Certification preferred

-Prior experience with hospital clinical applications or EPM/EMR software considered a plus

-Prior experience with physician practice and outpatients services considered a plus
  • dspielmandspielman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have 8 years of experience an IT, why would you apply for a position that is looking for someone with 0-2 years experience? I don't think they will meet your salary requirements unless they REALLY love you.
    dspielman wrote: »
    If you have 8 years of experience an IT, why would you apply for a position that is looking for someone with 0-2 years experience? I don't think they will meet your salary requirements unless they REALLY love you.

I'm willing to take a pay cut. I'm not really interested in network admin jobs.