Options

CCIE v5 Lab

Comments

• Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, good point. A remote lab would work as well.
  • Options
    Here is INE's post on it:

Routing and Switching CCIE Version 5 Update

They are saying March. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    The R&S CCIE v5 blueprint will see legacy topics like Frame-Relay removed.
    Is this official?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    I dunno, but I like what Brian Dennis talking about there. If 90% of v4 is still valid, I am not too concerned then. I might just have to buy a better laptop to run virtual.
  • Options
    The “official” announcement isn’t out yet, but if I was someone who’s currently studying for the CCIE R&S v5 Lab Exam, I would not study Frame Relay icon_wink.gif
    - Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593, CCDE #2013::13
  • Options
    My lab is scheduled 30 April. I seriously doubt I can be ready by the end of Feb.

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593, CCDE #2013::13 October 31, 2013 at 11:12 am
    Then just focus on the v5 blueprint. The vast majority of the core topics (switching, IGP, BGP, Multicast, QoS, etc.) is still going to stay the same. Just some of the legacy stuff like Frame Relay is going to get cut and then newer more relevant topics will be added in its place.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's about time they get rid of frame-relay if it is true.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am very glad this change is happening before I begin my CCIE studies! Couldn't be more happy to not have to look at frame relay again!
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, I guess I can throw away my Frame Relay cards now then.... While I am slightly annoyed that I've just bought a load of equipment, I suppose it's mostly useless now, but not totally useless.

Still, as said, focus on the technologies will be key.

At the same time, it does mean I can relax a bit now and I may as well cancel my lab attempt altogether for the time being until I see all this unfold. I can still use my time to study the bulk of the topics that do remain however. BGP/EIGRP/OSPF/Multicast/IPv6/Switching will all remain the same.
  • Options
    Might be worth taking CCDA and CCDP or even SP track. I'm thinking about it after I finish all core topics.
  • Options
    Well overall I'm not too worried. The change was always going to happen soon. Better now than later I suppose, and as we all know, the bulk of the technologies will carry over.
  • Options
    sea_turtlesea_turtle Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    carterw65 wrote: »
    My lab is scheduled 30 April. I seriously doubt I can be ready by the end of Feb.

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593, CCDE #2013::13 October 31, 2013 at 11:12 am
    Then just focus on the v5 blueprint. The vast majority of the core topics (switching, IGP, BGP, Multicast, QoS, etc.) is still going to stay the same. Just some of the legacy stuff like Frame Relay is going to get cut and then newer more relevant topics will be added in its place.

such a huge gamble as i don't know if ill be 100% ready by 2/28/14:

push lab date up from 3/31/14 to before 2/28/14 and add additional hours of study each day in hopes of not burning out and passing

OR
    keep lab date on 3/31/14 and take the gamble with the v5 blueprint and pray its not a very drastic change.
    Either way my 18 months ends on 4/5/14 so i don't really have a true play here :/
  • Options
    Though call man. If I were you I would just keep lab date or move it to later. You have 90 days before the lab date to move it no?
  • Options
    I think I'm going to fall back to August, keep up my reading rate and continue with the material that I've got and ignore the Frame Relay parts.

For us who are not 100% ready, it's a case of scraping through a v4 attempt, or taking some more time to nail a v5 attempt. The diagnostic section sounds interesting and would make the lab fun.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I'm hoping it's just going to cover 15.1... else my gear is going to be useless for v5. I'll still study v4 up to the change. Frame relay is still somewhat relevant in my line of work.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    sea_turtlesea_turtle Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I think I'm going to fall back to August, keep up my reading rate and continue with the material that I've got and ignore the Frame Relay parts.

For us who are not 100% ready, it's a case of scraping through a v4 attempt, or taking some more time to nail a v5 attempt. The diagnostic section sounds interesting and would make the lab fun.

yeah the problem is that im really on an solid schedule with labbing per INE's "how to pass CCIE v4 R&S", id hate to have to stop and re-take my R&S written and lose all of that momentum just to extend my 18 months.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you read the ine blog post it stated hardware won't be a factor its all about learning the technology. Which means everyone sweating over 15.1 won't need to worry. Also on the plus side everyone can continue using gns3.
  • Options
    I am not worried too much about this. I will probably push my lab back to then end of May. But first, I want to see the blueprint and what INE is providing for it. I am going to just keep on keeping on and study the main topics that I know will be on the lab.

Once we see what the blueprint looks like, I will adjust my study and potentially my physical lab if it is cost effective. If not cost effective, then I will look at what other options there are.

I am actually looking forward to this now. My biggest worry is Cisco adding something in like a Diagnostic section that will be impossible to pass. Like they did with the open ended questions. I am wondering if the failure rate will be high at first, being I am on the wrong end of that power curve and will be taking the lab in its infancy.

Time will tell.
  • Options
    Any one know if 3560s and 2811s can handle IOS 15? I haven't really looked.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to take Ver5, a shame i've spent the last 2 weeks playing with FR and Qos, but i'm happy about the change, at least now i can just play around with HQF. I'm going to try and aim to be one of the first to pass the new version, also the betta version written will be cheaper icon_smile.gif. Also if you can get an early pass of v5 it will be alot more respectable than a v4 pass, v4 cheating, lab swapping etc is rife.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RIP Frame Relay. I know it was a much maligned technology, but I thought it was a good teaching/troubleshooting tool, especially with OSPF. I won't shed any tears about WCCP leaving the blueprint though. That's one of those technologies that is difficult to verify configuration within the confines of the actual equipment. You have to add something extra to verify that the packets are being redirected properly if you truly want to test it. And inside the actual lab there's no way to do that. All you can do is brute force memorize the options and assume it's right on the lab. Same thing with aaa configs and Netflow.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I won't shed any tears about WCCP leaving the blueprint though. That's one of those technologies that is difficult to verify configuration within the confines of the actual equipment.

Let's not forget the 12.4T implementation of OER. I'd much rather see PfR on the blueprint under IOS 15.x

I'll miss frame-relay. It may have been a legacy topic, but even today I have a number of clients who still use frame-relay for connectivity. For those of us who are working on the SP track, we still get to play with this for better or for worse... until they update that track as well
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    Let's not forget the 12.4T implementation of OER. I'd much rather see PfR on the blueprint under IOS 15.x

Yeah, OER had no business being on there. The best part was watching the special video class Brian Dennis gave on the topic. Reboots or copying the exact config from an 1841 to a 3825 magically made it work. icon_lol.gif
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Any one know if 3560s and 2811s can handle IOS 15? I haven't really looked. "

the short answer is yes
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    keenon wrote: »
    "Any one know if 3560s and 2811s can handle IOS 15? I haven't really looked. "

the short answer is yes

Just curious, is there a long answer? :)
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, OER had no business being on there. The best part was watching the special video class Brian Dennis gave on the topic. Reboots or copying the exact config from an 1841 to a 3825 magically made it work. icon_lol.gif

What specific video was this? Was this the special series that they did a few months ago?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    What specific video was this? Was this the special series that they did a few months ago?

Yeah it was the free vSeminar Brian did about a year ago.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    I was hoping 1 November would be the v5 release date, I really want to see the blueprint.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah it was the free vSeminar Brian did about a year ago.

Okay. I will have to try to find that video. I've had no luck so far. I know they said they were going to post it.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."