Options

CCIE v5 Lab

124»

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Diagnostic session makes sense, though.

A lot of the technologies in the new blueprint, most Enterprise R&S engineers can truly say that they have to work with most of this stuff on a day-to-day basis (except IS-IS).

I think the inclusion of IS-IS is only on the written side, and I recall that it was in the old BSCI materials from back in the day. I also think that understanding IS-IS helps to understand OSPF and Trill (though Trill doesn't appear to be tested yet).

As I suspected earlier, Cisco is trying to make this stuff just like College:

CCENT (ICND-1) is Freshman year (100-101)
    CCNA is Sophomore Jinx (200-101)
    CCNP is yet to be renumbered, but my money's on 300-101.
    CCIE Written is going to be senior-level: 400-101
    CCIE Lab is your Capstone :D

I should know by February if I am ready to take a stab at the lab. If all the slots get taken or I'm not ready yet, I'll just book for v5. There is enough overlap whereby most of what is studied will transfer over cleanly.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I like what they removed. I know I'm not anywhere close to CCIE yet but I always keep my eye on it just because that's my goal ultimately.

For all of those looking to take it in the next year, good luck! I try to keep my eye on all your threads just to get some exposure to your study/lab habits and to absorb some of the information in passing while I'm working on my current set of certs.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Releases:
    • Cisco ISR 2900 Series routers running IOS version 15.3T Universal Software release
    • Catalyst 3560X Series switches running IOS version15.0SE Universal (IP Services) Software release

Any other hardware platform that can run equivalent Cisco IOS Software version 15 may be used as well.

Ugh; the hardware it takes to run 15.3T is pricey. Have to go back to 15.1T to even start getting cheaper devices (1800 series).
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    Surely 99% of scenarios, 15.1T or even M (I've found some bad bugs on 1800 15.1T code.... makes me leery) would be sufficient.

THe main issue with 1/2/3800 class ISR G1 chassis is that they only have two ethernet ports, and routed WICS are expensive. Sure you can run VLAN interfaces on switch WICs, or ppp/hdlc over serial links but they both present variations that may restrict any attempts to say mirror the official INE topology or thus.

Anyhow for most of the OSPF/BGP/EIGRP/MPLS/MPLS-VPN stuff you'll still be fine with GNS3, just remember to try it out on 15.x to see if theres any syntax gotchas.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure how I feel about the new diagnostic section based on what I've seen. Looks like it's their attempt to reintroduce the OEQs in a new format. I do like the new floating 30 minutes that you can take from config and add to your TS portion.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm really hoping the "new" gns3 pulls through and can support all the new technologies being added. I would really love to have a CCIE home lab but the cost of it seems like it is going to be substantial.
  • Options
    FloOz wrote: »
    I'm really hoping the "new" gns3 pulls through and can support all the new technologies being added. I would really love to have a CCIE home lab but the cost of it seems like it is going to be substantial.
    The new GNS3 is integrating IOU so I think it will handle the v5 lab just fine.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Looks like it's their attempt to reintroduce the OEQs in a new format. .

So in Cisco's new definition, it would be called "CEQ" :D

Per the update: "Tickets will not require candidates to write anything in order to provide the answer to a ticket. All tickets will be close- ended (as opposed to open-ended) so that the grading will be deterministic, ensuring a fair and consistent scoring."
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got this e-mail from the GNS3 guys not long ago. It is encouraging, though I'm not convinced GNS3 will be "nearly 100%" capable to train for CCIE R&S :) It will definitely help though!!
    Big Changes to CCIE!

Cisco has released their new blueprint for CCIE R+S certification. The biggest update for this is that it will be done in a 100% virtual lab environment!

"They are based on functionalities available in Cisco IOS Software Release 15 running within a 100% virtual environment." - Cisco

With this change, and the new updated GNS3, our members will be able to use our software to train nearly 100% of CCIE using GNS3!

Gone will be the days of rack rentals and buying physical hardware! Hello easy to use GNS3 virtual lab environments!
  • Options
    64:61:6e64:61:6e Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The new GNS3 is integrating IOU so I think it will handle the v5 lab just fine.

Question is now, how to we get L2IOU legally? I understand there's a thin line of using IOS within GNS3 and dynamips but at least we can download the software with a valid contract through our CCO ID. I think GNS3 should have stated that they are adding the switching capability through the use of L2IOU. I think that would have spawned a lot of questions. Maybe they didn't say anything in the beginning of their funding campaign so they would hit their goals...I dunno.

From what I read on twitter, CML (VIRL) will be released Q1 of 2014. I'm more looking forward to that than GNS3. I now need to decide if I keep my rack of 1800/2800, 3550/3560's or sell it for cheap and invest in a machine with lots of memory.
    CCIE-DC Written - Q1 2015
    CCIE-DC Lab - Q3/Q4 2015

• Options
    According to the GNS3 folks, Cisco is very supportive of their product. I doubt they're doing anything that would get them in hot water.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Any ETA for the new GNS3?
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    2014 (early)

I believe.
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Yeah, they said February 2014 for the early release - if you're an "early release member". Everyone else gets it late 2014 but no definite date.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    64:61:6e wrote: »
    Question is now, how to we get L2IOU legally? I understand there's a thin line of using IOS within GNS3 and dynamips but at least we can download the software with a valid contract through our CCO ID. I think GNS3 should have stated that they are adding the switching capability through the use of L2IOU. I think that would have spawned a lot of questions. Maybe they didn't say anything in the beginning of their funding campaign so they would hit their goals...I dunno.

From what I read on twitter, CML (VIRL) will be released Q1 of 2014. I'm more looking forward to that than GNS3.

I think CML will in the long run be the better product due to all of the Cisco OS support (IOS, IOS XE, IOS XR, NX-OS, etc plus capability to use VMs); however as Zartan said, GNS3 will allow folks to study for CCIE virtually without worry. It's a weird Frankenstein monster underneath but it's free, will have support, etc. We still have no clue about CML (licensing, features, etc).
  • Options
    Orion101Orion101 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GNS3 is going good so far, i'd chose it over packet tracer or boson, loading real IOS gives you a better experience