Options

70-646 Failed

ArkoundaArkounda Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I took the 70-646 exam yesterday and failed with a 448. After 3 weeks fulltime intense study using a plethora of resources I was gutted with the result. I am enrolled in a IT college and I have done the course material for 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-680 and 70-646 in that order, since I did 70-646 last I decided to start with that one for the certification exams.

The resources I used were as follows.

MS Official Course 6430B Book (Wrote an internal exam about every module and did all the labs.)
CBT Nuggets for 70-646 (Watched them twice and made notes on everything.)
Setup my own lab using Virtual Box did everything I could think off breaking stuff and then fixing it.
MSPress also made notes on everything in there.
Sybex.
MeasureUP (Aced all the tests with 90% plus.)
Technet (Used for all my references and all the R2 updates.)

I thought I knew my work inside and out but it seemed not. I dont really know how to proceed so any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    646 builds on 640 & 642, so I would suggest starting with them.

When you use the practice tests, are you using them to identify your week areas or are you just taking them over and over again until you get a high score?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    A bit of both to be honest if I find a question im unsure of I go research it on technet.
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    I would definately start with the 640 > 642 > 646.

Also, I don't think 3 weeks is enough time to hit all the resources thoroughly.
  • Options
    Ideally my college only gives me a week to study for the certification after I completed their labs and internal tests, so im actually wasting time and money by taking 3 weeks to study for one exam.
  • Options
    403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Arkounda wrote: »
    Ideally my college only gives me a week to study for the certification after I completed their labs and internal tests, so im actually wasting time and money by taking 3 weeks to study for one exam.

Wait.. hold on. You're telling us that your college tells you how long you have to study for an exam? What kind of college is this? Devry? ITT? Phoenix University?.. Other?

I'm sorry but any "College" that tells their students they get one week to study for an exam sounds a bit sketchy to me. I understand if they give you a lot of time to finish the labs and practice tests and then send you off a week later to sit the exam, in which case that could end up being your fault if you misused the practice exams and lab work time they gave you.

I also agree with BGold87, start with the 640,642 then go for the 646.

Study up and give it another go when you think you're good and ready... not when your "College" tells you.
  • Options
    No no its not a week for the entire course, depending on the course I am doing they will give me enough time to finish my work in the book as well as the labs and internal exams, then one week to round it all off and study for the certification exam; so there is enough time. All I am saying is that I cant afford to spend 2-3 months like other people doing 1 exam. But fair enough I will start with 70-642 first unless you think its better to start with 70-640? As I said in the original post, I have done the course material for them both just not the exams; so I am familiar with the content.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    These exams are not easy. I studied 640 for 6 months, failed the first attempt and passed the 2nd. I studied the 642 for 4 months and failed twice. I also work with this stuff daily.

If you school just uses the MSpress labs its not enough. Do not take these tests lightly.

642 builds on the 640 a little bit. I would recommend the 640 first unless you have a really good back ground in networking, then the 642 might be a little easier.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    As others have stated, if you don't know the 70-640 and 70-642 material you're up a creek without a paddle! Not only that but I saw crossover from the 70-680/70-686 as well...the 70-646 is overall comprehensive and "big picture" type questions while needing to understand the underlying technologies.