Options

Certification question for new job opportunities

rshiva62rshiva62 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I am currently working as systems/network administrator and currently looking for new opportunities since the current contract is coming to an end soon. Most of the job openings/opportunities I come across ask for virtualization experience. I do not have any virtualization experience since I have worked with only stand alone servers. I have primarly worked with Windows Server OS 2008.

I took a look at the VMware webiste and the certification path is very confusing. Can anyone guide me the best certifications in virtualization that is widely asked by employers in the market these days? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    VCP (well, I guess VCP-DV if you are working in the datacenter) is still the gold standard.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    blargoe wrote: »
    VCP (well, I guess VCP-DV if you are working in the datacenter) is still the gold standard.

It's VCP5-DCV now.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The VCP5-DCV has a classroom requirement, as well as the written exam.
    http://mylearn.vmware.com/courseware/171944/VCP5-DCV_20130702sm.jpg
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is officially called the VCP5-DVC now, but most people still consider it the "VCP".

And yes, if you are looking for a virtualization certification, the VCP (5-DCV) is the way to go IMHO. I believe MS also has a Hyper-V cert, but I don't think it's as widely known or cared about. Granted if the company you are working for (or trying to) extensively uses Hyper-V, that might be a good choice. But in general, VMware is better.

The VMware cert track is fairly straight forward. They have a newly introduced VCA (Associate) level, but it's pretty bad, mainly focused around sales engineering and most companies either don't know about it or couldn't care. The Professional level is the best to go for. They have various tracks depending on the specialty, but Data Center is the most common. After that, they have some higher level certs (Advanced Professional, etc.), but those are much harder.

As MrAgent mentioned, the cert has a class requirement. Even just passing the exam doesn't give you the cert without the class. The official class is thousands of dollars, but there is an alternative - the VMware Academy. Stanly Community College has a class that is $185 that fulfills this requirement, but the waiting list is long. There are numerous threads in this forum that discuss it.

And keep in mind that unlike some classes, neither one gives you all the information you need to pass the exam. You need to do a lot of self-study and lab work before you can expect to pass.

Good luck!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dave330i wrote: »
    It's VCP5-DCV now.

Yep... typo
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    rshiva62rshiva62 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot for your responses. I think I will enroll for the class, learn and do the exam. Any idea about the cost for the VMware vspehere: Install, configure and Manage v5.1 course here in the States?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All I could find online was $225. Not sure if it is correct. I found the price here.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rshiva62 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your responses. I think I will enroll for the class, learn and do the exam. Any idea about the cost for the VMware vspehere: Install, configure and Manage v5.1 course here in the States?

It's a 5 day class which will cost you around $3,000 which is pretty expensive...
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Doh, I meant the exam was $225. The course is $3k, just as Dakinggamer87 pointed out.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    0v3rc10ck3d0v3rc10ck3d Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you're starting out with zero experience go for the new cert the VCA-DCV (VMware Certified Associate)
    It doesn't hold a lot of value as you can take it online instead of in a testing center but it's currently a free exam with no prerequisite so it would be a good starting point.