Options

What portable hard drive brand do you recommend?

zdxzdx Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been researching a few brands.. toshiba,seagate,WD and they see to have both good and bad reviews. I'm looking for one that doesn't need an external power supply and at least 1 tb with a USB 3.0 connection. What do you folks use?

Comments

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WD My Passport is what I use. I have no problems with it.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With the recent issues with Toshiba HDD failures, I'd stay away from Toshiba. WD is good.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a Seagate that doesn't require a power supply and noticed that on really big file transfers it will run into issues and fail, my two other ones with power supplies work fine on big file transfers. I have another one that I use with my laptop for Time Machine only and that works fine.

I think I am going to stick with the drives with external power for regular backups at home and save the non external power ones for stuff I use occasionally.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well i use a Seagate HDD, but IMO when it comes to HDD it doesn't matter what brand it is but the HDD space.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Avoid Toshiba drives at all costs.

The 2 1.5 TB drives I bought both failed on the first day and week, respectively.

They also have issues being recognized as drives from time to time (a few times each week). I also get prompts to format them at times when I plug them in. Other times they don't show up as useable but only as raw drives.

Use WD or LaCie drives.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Love WD, Seagate is decent...by far the best two brands.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    G-Tech G-Drive or G-Slim if you have the spend, but I primarily work with Macs. Good connections, good chipsets etc and they last a while.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    +1 for Seagate
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've had a Western Digital 1 TB drive since 05 and it is still going strong.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    Everything in my desktop (except the SSD, which is Patriot) is either Seagate or WD. I prefer the Seagate's if buying new, but both work fine.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got a 2TB WD My Passport (USB3) drive wrapped up in this casing:-

WD Nomad Rugged Case for My Passport Hard Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Had it for about a year and been very good so far.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S