Options

Any tips/tricks on securing Windows 7

pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
Kind of a part II for this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/94845-need-help-cleaning-windows-7-laptop.html

I have the laptop restored and am doing Windows update now. Any tips on securing it the best I can for click happy parents? I know about virus protection. I usually go with AVG unless someone recommends another with good reason. However, there has to be some more things I can do, such as disabling services and such.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    The most obvious one would be to make sure they are using a standard user account. I know that this isn't foolproof, but it would be a good start.
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Non admin account.
    Autoupdate OS and all plug ins.
    firefox with adblock plus and noscript
    disable / don't install java app
    Avoid having flash enabled if you can.
    I just use MS Sec esentials works as well as any of the others, but is free and seems to have a smaller footprint.
    If you really want to lock things down, EMET with whitelisting. (Windows Security 101: EMET 4.0 — Krebs on Security)
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    +1 for what wes allen has said. Since this laptop is for your parents, you might skip on the adblock plus depending on their computer experience. It could dramatically decrease website usability if not used properly, but is absolutely amazing for security when used properly! The same kind of goes for disabling flash.

One other thing you can do that really helps, is to disable unneeded/unused system services. There is a good site called black viper (I think?) that has a great list of services for different windows version to disable to increase security. This also greatly enhances performance.

And lastly, the best thing to do is educate your parents about common attacks (email phishing, identity theft, social engineering type stuff). Good luck!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1