Options

New to Cisco and need lab setup but not sure what to get and where.

Acknowledged74Acknowledged74 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am new to Cisco and just started CCNA course (including CCENT). I very much want a basic setup at home so I can learn hands on to experience console session and to configure switched and router myself rather than just through the packet tracer.

I'm looking at ebay and there are routers and particularly switch for next to nothing, but to be completely honest I dont know what I am buying. I've come across

CISCO Lab CCNA CCNP CCIE (Router Switch 1760 DB60 CISCO 2950 ) | eBay

and to get me going will this be sufficient?

I can spend alot less than this but I could also spend several hundred easy.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Ashley

---

Comments

• Options
    Actually having looked further something like

[FONT=&quot]CISCO2600 Series [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]CISCO2514 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]WS-C2950-12 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]WIC-1t [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kettle leads [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ethernet Straight [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Console Cable [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]CAB-HD60-MMX-3 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT]

Might be more the ticket ?

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just started too with studying for CCENT. The setup I have it 2 Cisco 2610 routers with WIC-1T and 2 Cisco 2950 switch boxes. I can find that equipment for $20 a piece on ebay anyday. You might want to invest in a usb to serial cable if you are using newer computer to access the equipment. Just avoid the cheap ebay ones and invest in a trendnet cable they sell at Staples for $10.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Personally I would get 2611xm's so you get two fast Ethernet slots. If you had a 3550 you would basically be good through CCNA. 1841's would be a step higher so you could do every command because 2611's will be on 12.x and miss a few of the newer commands but not the end of the world.

You may need other equipment if you go down the voice or security paths for instance.
  • Options
    That is a 3550 in addition to the 2950's.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 1760 is a good, cheap 12.4T Router. But, it only has one Fast Ethernet port. If saving money is your #1 goal, I would go with 1760s for anything that doesn't need more than 1 Fast Ethernet port. The 1800 Series ISRs (1811, 1841) have come down to around (1841) or below (1811) $100 now and if you can afford to spend a little extra (they're not than much more than a 2600XM now), I would definitely get one or more of these. The 1811 is basically an 1841 with a built-in 8-Port Switch instead of the 2 HWIC Slots (1841). You will need the HWIC slots if you plan to do Serial WAN (Frame Relay, PPP, HDLC), but the 1811 would be good for anything that doesn't require Serial WAN.

As for switches, go with at least the 2950. These can be had for $25/each or less. If you have time to wait, you could prowl eBay for a good deal on some 2960s. I got two 2960-24TT-L switches for $99 a while back. They pop up occasionally for about $50/each. A Layer 3 switch (3550, 3560, 3750) would be a nice addition. These things are awesome. The 3560/3750 are still very expensive, but are starting to come down (I saw a working one for ~$160 recently). The 3550 OTOH is much cheaper, especially if you are willing to bid on auctions ending early in the morning. I scored two for about $70 (Lot of 2 = $35/each) because they ended at 5 AM. Last time I checked (a few months ago) they were $65 Buy It Now, but they may be lower now.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What do you guys think of the 2950T and the 2600XM?

Any suggestions on SFP's?

Thanks in advance.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    About 2950T, it comes with EI:
    Upgrading Software Images on Catalyst 2950 and 2955 Series Switches Using the Command Line Interface - Cisco Systems
    Two software image feature sets are available for the 2950 series:
    • The Standard Image (SI) feature set
    • The Enhanced Image (EI) feature set
    The 2955 series runs only the EI feature set.
    The difference between the two is that the EI feature set offers more features including Access Control Lists (ACLs), enhanced Quality of Service (QoS) features, extended-range VLANs, the IEEE 802.1W Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), and the IEEE 802.1S Multiple STP (MSTP). The enhanced crypto software image supports the Secure Shell (SSH) protocol. Only EI capable switches can run cryptographic images (images which begin with c2950-i6k2l2q4).
  • Options
    ciscouser8429ciscouser8429 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also just started studying for my CCENT. I just go catalist 3750, will I also need to get a actual router? Anyone that wants to exchange notes or questions feel free to add me to their aim or gmail.

Thanks!
  • Options
    If you have a half decent PC you can emulate routers with Dynamips/GNS3 and connect them with real switches using multiport ethernet card.
  • Options
    SkydivingcowsSkydivingcows Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you take a look at this thread just to get some ideas as well. Fun thread to look at.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics.html
  • Options
    Hi

OK so I've got a little setup.

A 2500 series router, 2950 switch and a 3500 XL switch, and a few cables.

Slight problem though, I've got a standard console cable, like this one http://www.netcomm-solutions.com/images/products/console-cables/console%20cable%202l.jpg but my PC doesn't have a DB9 male port.

What do I need?
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    You will need a USB to Serial adapter.
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    So you can't just get a console cable with RJ45 to USB? Surely that makes more sense with PC's having USB's as standard?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you can't just get a console cable with RJ45 to USB? Surely that makes more sense with PC's having USB's as standard?

Serial (RS232) and USB are different. USB is much more complicated. It takes more than simply flipping some wires around in the cable.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    don't buy premade kits as they are usually rip offs

1721,1751,1760 ,2600xm or better (1841, 3745 etc)

You will need at least a couple of wics and the cables to go with them.
    wic2t or wic1t and others

One or more usb2serial cables so you can connect the console cable to a pc with out serial ports.
    The ftdi chip based ones are reliable and work well with windows ,mac and linux.
    The easy sync ones are a bit pricey but are a lot more reliable than the cheap ones from amazon or else where
    USB RS232 Cables

for switches
    2950 ,3550 or better

Take your time buying equipment. Don't be in a rush and on ebay don't get into a bidding war.

Learn how to use gsn3 Video tutorials - GNS3
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    alxx wrote: »
    don't buy premade kits as they are usually rip offs

While some are a rip off, there are plenty of vendors that do a good job and reduce the time invested searching. Generally one doesn't know enough to piece together a lab at the beginning and a good priced kit can take away the frustration factor.

Make sure on any kit that workbooks and IOS images are included. The kit I started with was $600...3 2611xm routers with 2t wics, 2 2950 switches, 1 3550...included all cables, IOS images, and workbooks. Piecing this together will easily get to the $400-500 range unless somebody is taking a big hit.
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    While some are a rip off, there are plenty of vendors that do a good job and reduce the time invested searching. Generally one doesn't know enough to piece together a lab at the beginning and a good priced kit can take away the frustration factor

One can still read forum topics like this one ;).
    ... bought few things here and there for cheap, most of the stuff I had to reset to factory settings because I couldn't get into "enable" mode. It's a learning process in itself.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    While some are a rip off, there are plenty of vendors that do a good job and reduce the time invested searching. Generally one doesn't know enough to piece together a lab at the beginning and a good priced kit can take away the frustration factor.

more than some ,most!
    And most kits on ebay are people trying to get rid of their old equipment (been there done that as part of upgrading my lab icon_twisted.gif)

Part of the learning experience is reading up and researching on what to get.
    google the router models , search cisco site. Look at what is the various racks for rent.

Buying a kit is the lazy/easy way out.

Look at what ios features cisco requires for ccna , what hardware is available and whats affordable and what has most of the needed features. Use feature navigator to see what ios has what features and what ram/flash requirements is needed for what version. Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

Some helpful pages on this site
    Wendell's CCENT Skills Blog | Category Archive | LabGear
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014