Options

Is 40 hours training for CEH v8 sufficient?

zorro786zorro786 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi!
I am planning to appear for CEH v8 exam and an institute is offering 40 hours of training with a guarantee that if failed in exam, the next one's fee will be on them. Is it reasonable? Or do I need to train for more at least 72 hours?

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have no experience in Networking, Pen Testing, or InfoSec then it is highly unlikely that you will pass in 40 hours. If you already have a solid background/understanding of the material covered, then I would say it is possible.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    zorro786zorro786 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I am currently in 3rd Year of B.E. in C.S.
    I have done OS and Computer Network courses this semester. I also worked on BackTrack for my project on Study of Network Attacks. Will that help?
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Think of college as exposure not experience. Experience is seeing issues in the field on live systems with "wonderful" operators and seeing multiple variances of issues. Your CS degree will be an asset in CEH as many things are simply code flaws. 40 hours is not enough to learn the vast amount of tools their variances. The test itself is relatively easy but without understanding when to use what tool, the commands associated and their outputs you will have a rough time passing.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I tend to disagree. It is fairly easy to pass the CEH reading a single book and knowing what the output from a few tools looks like.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For some questions yes, knowing the output is fine but the last exam I did they ask you some kind of question where the experience or solid knowledge help you to get the right answer.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,027 Admin
    The CEH exam is designed to test people's understanding of the EC-Council's CEH course. Therefore, the closer you are to being able to understand and use the information in the official CEH course the closer you are to being able to pass the CEH exam.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the exam is definitely passable with 40 hours of studying. But that won't make you a proficient "ethical hacker"...despite the title.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    In my experience I think you need some practical Information Security experience. The class will help and will bring you closer to passing the exam. However for it to all make sense I think real world experience is needed. I took the course and even the instructor had to lean on students for certain real world example and application of certain practices.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)