Publish a book?

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
Has anyone here published a book, print or digital, that got decent circulation? I mean someone "normal" (if that makes any sense), not like friend of the forum Darril Gibson. I've always been curious on this topic. Having seen there's so many IT areas out there that don't have good resources, I am sure there has to be some sort of barrier that blocks good material from making it out to the masses.

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm sure Darril considers himself "normal". icon_lol.gif I've been collaborating on some review materials which I hope we will be able to publish next year. So far its slow going and mostly because it's being done by committee.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The right tool for this has to exist in this day and age.

If it doesn't, invent it and then use it lol. Two bird with one stone.

Seriously though, its just a matter of finding the website...it has to exist. Id be shocked if it didn't.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I know a guy who has 2 books published now. Both of his were through PACKT (Packt Publishing | "Community Experience, Distilled") I've thought about it more than a few times, but I just don't have the time. I also looked into self publishing as I was considering doing a non-technical book at one point.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Interesting. I am just bookmarking stuff in case I ever decide to give ti a shot.

There's CreateSpace.com which seem to be popular for self-publishers. It seems to bring down the cost. However, I see something mentioned everywhere: writing and publishing the book is 20% of the work, The other 80% is marketing. That's what sucks.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Amazon has free software that you can download and run that will format your book to Kindle format. I am sure there are a lot of authors who have gone that route.

https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yes, I saw tnat one but the fact that there's no physical print option kills it for me.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Has anyone here ever published a book? I just created a Kindle book from my WGU MSISA capstone. Obviously it's not going to be a best seller or even profitable, I was just wondering about the experiences that others have had.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Someone ought to publish a easy to understand setting up a Linux server book. Most of the books out there on Linux are so cryptic or assume that you are a professor :) serious gap in the market there
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take a look at lulu.com Self Publishing, Book Printing and Publishing Online - Lulu You can publish electronic and paper books.