Options

Anyone see the recent new on Net Neutrality?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Anyone see the recent new on Net Neutrality?We're About to Lose Net Neutrality — And the Internet as We Know It | Wired Opinion | Wired.com

What do you guy's think will happen? think the big companies will get what they want? I find it complete bull **** and their taking away our freedom of speech

Comments

• Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    I think that this would backfire very quickly. I would have no problem constantly wasting my ISP's time by calling them to complain about slow load times. That being said, I'm not as malicious as many out there. I can't see these companies being attacked less for taking these sorts of measures.

Telecom/cable companies are rocking the boat. Most people are probably fed up with them as it stands. There is little competition here in the suburbs of Boston. As a result, our favorite ISP in the area has little reason to provide good customer service, or to offer competitive pricing.

I found this story: Don't Blame Big Cable. It's Local Governments That Choke Broadband Competition | Wired Opinion | Wired.com

The author basically blames the government. To be honest, I don't know enough about this topic. Regardless, something has to be done to spark more competition in this market.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    I find it complete bull **** and their taking away our freedom of speech

It really has nothing to do with free speech. It's more about charging more, preferring certain types or blocking of traffic on their networks. I don't think it's a good idea though regardless and we will see what the courts think.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nobody is stopping anybody from setting up their own networks and it is being done already with open source projects using wireless mesh networks. What happened was we liked the idea of commercialized, fast and easy internet access. Companies like making a profit and finding new ways to make a profit, it's not unbelievable that they will implement new ways to charge fees since the old days of hourly internet access fees went away.

Nobody is taking away your rights to freedom of speech, we are still free to communicate how we want by using alternative methods of communication. I think we just got too used to how easy it is to use commercial services.
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    I have no problem with companies making a profit. My question is why are they making profits. Are they making huge profits because of innovation? Do they offer an excellent service? If so, then I think that's great. However, when they are making profits because they are the only realistic option, then that doesn't seem right to me. My ISP isn't posting huge profits because of their great customer service. There are literally no other options to my house short of 56k or satellite.

I agree that this issue has nothing to do with freedom of speech. I am concerned, however, if other options are not becoming available because local governments feel the need to try to get every dime that they can. In a capialist economy, my choice if my vote, but I don't feel like I have any other reasonable choices.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This was bound to happen once internet access became commercialized. Technology will eventually reach a point where free and open access becomes a reality with non centralized networks but I think that will be when we reach Blade Runner as a reality.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Now it's making sense why Google has been experimenting with running fiber to whole cities. I hope they come to Hartford next.