Options

Cloud/Security Career Path Guidance

stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
Good morning, all! I have decided to get a little crowd-sourced advice, regarding IT certs and education. So, first things first, some history. I spent twenty-two years in the USAF where I held a variety of jobs, to include: physical security, managing airfields, and some other force protection/anti-terrorism related jobs. As far as additional duty-type stuff, I've been in charge of unit supplies, documenting our computer resources, scrounging equipment, IT project management, troubleshooting equipment failures, emergency management, etc. In my off time, I supported friends/family/coworkers/neighbors with malware removal, diagnosing computer problems, fixing said problems, upgrading, advising on future purchases, etc. If it is remotely IT related, I've probably consulted on it or worked on it.

Since retiring from the USAF last year, I took five IT classes, where I learned/earned my CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certs as well as studied for the MS 70-680/685 certs. My plan, since I promised the wife, is to sit the two MS certs soon. I am also in two online classes, one for CCNA and one for SAP HANA. I have applied to WGU in order to sit for the BSIT/Security degree and plan on getting an MSc degree after that.

I currently hold down two jobs, one where I work in a NOC for a major telecom and one where I fix computers as a uniformed technician in a very large big-box store (see my LinkedIn profile if you can't guess which one I am referring to).

Lastly, my IT passion. I am enamored with "cloud computing" and security. I can spend all day talking about network security and cloud computing...ask my wife. Or, better yet, don't disturb her...she looks so cute when her eyes glaze over and she goes comatose....lol. So, eventually, I would love to get into those areas of IT.

As I am just starting out in professional IT, I would like some direction and advice. Here is my little five-ish year plan. Where would you tweak or modify it?

1. As cloud services rely heavily on storage, I was thinking about studying for and taking the CompTIA Storage+ powered by SNIA cert. I'm not particularly interested in storage but figure it will be beneficial from a knowledge perspective, even if it isn't the sole reason why a company would hire me.

2. "Alphabet"-as-a-Service seems to need a database to assist. I am thinking about getting one of the Oracle DB certs. Would that be sufficient, when combined with SAP HANA, to give me a solid foundation? I don't necessarily want to be a DBA, though I have nothing against that type of job. After all, even though my future ambitions point to the cloud, one needs to make ends meet. Would an MS SQL cert make more sense in the cloud space?

3. Linux seems to be particularly huge in the cloud environment. WGU BSIT/Security requires passing Linux+. Great. No problem with that. I've been using Linux off-and-on since 1997. I am comfortable with several flavors (Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, CentOS, Oracle, etc). Would getting the RHCE with the various security expertise certificates be sufficient or should I look at becoming an RHCSS?

4. As it appears that my past experiences in the USAF qualify me to sit for the CISSP, would it make sense to invest in that one? My feeling is that it would be foolish not to. Should I wait until I have more professional IT experience before getting it? Would one of the concentrations be useful?

5. The WGU BSIT/Security degree requires passing CCNA/Security. What next? CCNP/Security?

6. ITIL Foundation V3 seems mighty important, especially in the DoD arena. It also seems pretty straight forward and very non-technical. Should I consider any higher level ITIL certs? I would like to be a Director/Senior Director some day, so I think higher would be better, just maybe not in the near term.

7. VMware. I tried to get into a VMware course recently but couldn't due to VA rules. Okay, no problem. I'll just jump into one of the low cost courses offered by Ohlone or Stanly. Does one need anything above the VCP5-DCV, such as the VCAP-Cloud certs, to effectively play in the cloud/security field?

So, obviously, I've put some thought into this whole thing. What am I missing? I would, ideally, like to be the Manager or Director of Cloud Security for a company. Is there anything else that would make more sense to pursue? Right now, money isn't so much an object, as both my company and the VA pay for training and certs, to a point. I just want to make the most out of the money available. Leveraging that money, while I have it available, is a no-brainer. And, since I am at the beginning of my professional IT journey, focusing on the best route to take seems much smarter than just blundering along.

Your thoughts, guidance, and advice is greatly appreciated and eagerly anticipated.
The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me

Comments

• Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am getting ready to run out the door to a VMUG Conference, but to provide some short answers (ill do long ones tonight, or after others have responded):

1. I have briefly looked at Storage+, it's on my bucket list to learn and earn, but it seems very in depth (And one of the few CompTIA certifications that I think you need far more hands on and less 'theory'). Until recently there really wasn't a companion guide for the course outside of a traditional ILT class. A fantastic one to know/have. EMC Storage is also great.

2. the BS-IT:Sec from WGU has a couple database classes and exams, I would stay in a holding pattern on this one until after you take the classes and decide if you want to get any more in depth. (Though I would say HANA is pretty indepth)

3. RHCE is great to compliment WGU - Linux+

4. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. CISSP is a fantastic achievement. I've taken the class for it a couple years ago, and I have a voucher for the exam collecting dust because I want to get all of the requirements out of the way so I am not an associate of ____.

5. Yes, if you choose to continue down the Cisco path.

6. ITIL is a buzzword that every employer seems to look for these days. I think by taking the classes and moving into the intermediate range you would separate yourself from the pack of people that have the foundation designation. It's on my list of things to do for 2014.

7. WGU will enable you to get free online training for the VCP, Stanly is great, and cloud/security is such a new commodity that the course there isn't as clear. EXIN offers a Certified Integrator Cloud Security certification, that is earned by earning a bunch of other certifications. AWS has started creating certs for their web services.

I've got some other suggestions but i'm running out the door. You are on the right track, and have mostly gotten it all figured out.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm having some trouble putting this picture together. From my side it looks like you want to touch it all and know a bit about everything, which may work against you. In my opinion this is way too broad. Also, I'm not clear on your experience. Unless I'm reading it wrong it doesn't sound too technical. What are your duties at the NOC? Again, from this end it seems that you may be better off gaining more experience while attending WGU and certifying.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glad you asked because I also had a "do it all" thought process going on and then I realized that I need to focus on one thing at a time and get back to fundamentals.

I have been spending a lot of time reading up and using VMware ESXI but realized my linux knowledge is lacking seriously when it comes to using any open source tools so I put that on hold and realized I needed a strong foundation in Linux and I will work up from there.
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stop being crazy, Stryder. You're super excited. I need you to take your blood pressure medication.

So, in order:
    6. Yes, get ITIL.
    4. Yes, get CISSP. Concentrations are for the arrogant.
    7. Most hiring managers don't know what VCAP or VCDX are.
    3. Speaking of, what's RHCSS?
    1. Storage certifications probably won't be a requirement. You'll want to understand basics of storage, though.
    5. Yes.
    2. No. DBA certs are overkill for what you'll need to do in them as an information security professional.

BONUS ROUND:
    10. Look at the CCSK from CSA.
    8. Check out CloudU, as well.
    9. (ISC)2 (the CISSP people) has a cloud security certification coming out sometime in 2014 (hopefully).
  • Options
    Back from the conference. The keynote speaker was Nolan Bushnell, and he spent quite a bit talking about the changing relevance of school and traditional learning. An absolutely brilliant man.

You are on the right track, and that hunger and eagerness I want you to keep and let no one take it away. Follow your heart on the right career path, and with that being said:

I would finish those certs/classes you have outstanding before starting at WGU, or take softball gen-ed requirements for the first "x-amount" of time until you wrap those up. The CISSP is such a great accomplishment to have I would definitely recommend it. I am not familiar with the exam since it went to being computer based, but before it used to be proctored in person, paper and pencil, and you could then take it home and see what you missed or what you needed to study. They would then throw out all of those questions and answers from ever appearing on the exam again.

If you can get the USAF to pay for additional classes/certifications with the GI Bill I would say leverage that for every penny you can while going to WGU.

If you live near any college or universities I would check out what offerings they have. There are a lot of great tertiary certifications and management programs that arent touched on often in the \General\ forums. PMP is still worth its weight in gold for the mid-level to low upper-level IT management. Green/Agile/Lean/SixSigma Prince2 CoBIT.

Jump in, learn as much as you can, and change your 5 year outlook accordingly to whatever pops up that you find you love. If Cloud Security is what it is, identify potential companies you would want to work for, what the requirements for the position are, or where you feel your strengths or weaknesses lie.

4 hours of sleep and im rambling... *sorry*
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I have much to think about. I have been thinking long and hard on what my past experiences were and how best to leverage those with my aptitude/interest in IT. I will be using the information provided here, both in this thread and throughout the site, to formulate a plan. Without the feedback, I believe I would be a lot further behind than I am, currently.

Thank you again, everyone.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I'm having some trouble putting this picture together. From my side it looks like you want to touch it all and know a bit about everything, which may work against you. In my opinion this is way too broad. Also, I'm not clear on your experience. Unless I'm reading it wrong it doesn't sound too technical. What are your duties at the NOC? Again, from this end it seems that you may be better off gaining more experience while attending WGU and certifying.

I see that I could have been clearer, so for that I apologize. I want to build up my experience over the next several-ish years, targeting my education and certifications at eventually going into the cloud/security arena. Ultimately, I want to know a bit about every aspect, or nearly every aspect, of the separate components of "cloud". That way, when it comes to securing a cloud environment, I won't look stupid asking what a SAN is (granted, I know what it is and some of how it works, but that is beside the point). Additionally, if I know/certify on the various components, I will have a greater chance of getting a job with a cloud provider and can eventually move to the security side of that company. Naturally, the company that I currently work for has those offerings available to their customers, so I would love to get the education/certification necessary to move within. As such, I am not looking to jump ship, just trying to prepare for the day when I can move to what is, essentially, a passion set of mine.

Thank you for your response. It helped me clarify some things that were rattling around in my head.

• Options
    Where you currently are (and not knowing what they run in house, though they are a major backbone) I would suggest looking into the VMware side of things. In my humble opinion VMware is moving on the Software Defined Data Center and Software Defined Network faster than anyone else, and it certainly is the 'next' IT/Cloud evolution. It is going to do to networking cores what hyper-visors did to traditional servers. In additional to VSAN being in beta, virtual everything is going to quickly replace 90% of physical anything.