Options

Cisco almost forcing their clients to buy new gear...

NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
Cisco is raising the price for the Catalyst 3000, 4000 and 6000 series switches and associated products by up to 67% to encourage purchase of newer equipment

Soruce: Cisco raises Catalyst switch prices by up to 67% - Network World

What do you guys think of this? haha... is not nice how Cisco is treating their customers...

Its good that i got out that cisco chip out of my head long time ago...

Cheers
Carlos

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it makes sense. It costs more for them to continue to maintain and support the legacy equipment so that price is passed onto the buyer just like anything else in our economy. It's certainly nothing new.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Really? nothing new? never heard of any brand doing that... what other brands are doing that kind of think? may i know them?
  • Options
    Read the article. It says that Cisco has used this practice in the past themselves. They could go the alternative route and just EOL/EOS the stuff and people would be completely out of luck. At least this gives people the option of using the older gear although it comes at a price.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    With due respect, NightShade1, your complaint is suspect, given the fact that Cisco and Aruba compete for customers.
    is not nice how Cisco is treating their customers.
    Product Manager - ArubaNetworks

I'm used to seeing the veiled marketing moves on LinkedIn, but not TechExams. I guess with a name like NightShade1, we should have expected it :)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    They do this with smartnet contracts too, they can (and do) make the renewal so high that it only makes sense to buy new gear. Other manufacturers kind of do that by offering "lifetime" warranties which are really only "lifetime" for the life of the production and sale run of that model. However, I have seen times when HP has replaced ten year old switches under their lifetime warranty because they happened to have the thing on their shelves in some warehouse. As much as I bash Cisco when it comes to pricing, this does prevent people from holding on to their crappy gear which is past its due. When you own the market, you can get away with that behavior.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    The 3750x is hardly an old switch... Anyone know when we can expect more then 4 switches in a stack?
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see the new 3750-X anywhere on the list. They just mentioned the old 3750 models.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Really? nothing new? never heard of any brand doing that... what other brands are doing that kind of think? may i know them?

Ever tried getting old DDR2 / 3 ECC, Buffered, Registered RAM ? Upgrading an old HP G5 seems more expensive than buying a car ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    With due respect, NightShade1, your complaint is suspect, given the fact that Cisco and Aruba compete for customers.

I'm used to seeing the veiled marketing moves on LinkedIn, but not TechExams. I guess with a name like NightShade1, we should have expected it :)

Just to make it clear i do not work in ArubaNetworks look my signature again :)
    It really doesnt bother me if someone in the US or any country buys Aruba or Cisco, it does not affect me at all :P i just got to worry about my country and there is no user in technet of my country in here besides me... so it was not a marketing move... it was just something that got my attention.
  • Options
    They do this with smartnet contracts too, they can (and do) make the renewal so high that it only makes sense to buy new gear. Other manufacturers kind of do that by offering "lifetime" warranties which are really only "lifetime" for the life of the production and sale run of that model. However, I have seen times when HP has replaced ten year old switches under their lifetime warranty because they happened to have the thing on their shelves in some warehouse. As much as I bash Cisco when it comes to pricing, this does prevent people from holding on to their crappy gear which is past its due. When you own the market, you can get away with that behavior.

Finally a good reply... It seems that my post hurts some cisco Bealivers icon_sad.gif

Good explanation it consultant.

Cheers
    Carlos
  • Options
    Don't mistake disagreement with hurt feelings. I'm not a big fan of Cisco in particular these days, but this isn't a bad business model IMO.
  • Options
    Don't mistake disagreement with hurt feelings. I'm not a big fan of Cisco in particular these days, but this isn't a bad business model IMO.

I was referring to instant000 not to you :)
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have to agree its a good way to encourage companies to keep up to date. I am putting together a large Cisco quote at the moment, and Cisco do price there current models very comptivly against there old lines.

The quote I got 12 months back for the 2960s range, is almost identical to the quote I got last week for some 2960x's. I know my access layer has a 3 year refresh cycle, so I don't want kit that's already 2-3 years out of date. Encouraging you to go for the latest means that all you kit it similar age and less compability issues as technology moves on.

I know for examle that £2500 gets me a current model 48 port layer 2 switch, £3500 a layer 3 switch with 10g uplinks. With lots of new buildings and people wanting figures for budgets, ciscos price model make a lot of sence and saves me a lot of time.

Like irst said the 3750 is two generations behind, you have the 3750v2 and the current 3750x. And sensible mana fracture should try to discontinue old out of date product lines and concentrate on new ones. Low costs come in bulk production, I am sure they are probable losing money on the old lines having to keep manufacturing plants tooled up with old equipment. So if people want old kit they have to pay the amount that makes it profitable.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So if Cisco EOLs old products customers are SOL and have to upgrade everything to get support. I don't understand where this is an issue.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Some people dont need the support, they just need the product, they shouldn't have to pay out the bum for their needs.

If I buy COD MW, it is not fair to raise the price to force me to upgrade to MW3...

If it is EOL then it is the customers responsibility to know that/know what it entails. The techs have a responsibility to keep their company informed about what the result of using those products is. It should be a company decision based on its needs, not Cisco's pressure.

Finally from a financial standpoint it makes sense to simply increase the price for supporting older devices. It would accomplish the same goal, and provide support for a broader customer base.
  • Options
    I think the part you are missing is that continuing to manufacture the older equipment in small quantities is where the real price increase lies which is then off loaded to the consumer.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    This site is like the "Cheerleaders of all things Cisco," good luck trying to get a negative anything about that company around here.
  • Options
    How about adding something constructive to the conversation rather than fanning flames? What is your take on this?
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    ^
    http://forums/jobs-degrees/93967-salary-someone-will-just-get-there-bachelors.html#post790270

We get it, you have an issue with this site and Cisco. Just put it in your sig and save us all the trouble of reading it all the time.

Back on topic, if you're going to continue to use EOL equipment, then find an authorized reseller and buy your parts and stuff from them instead. That is, I guess if your company allows such things.
  • Options
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    This site is like the "Cheerleaders of all things Cisco," good luck trying to get a negative anything about that company around here.

I bash Cisco like its a sport. Their ethernet switches are good but way overpriced, same with their routers (ever compared an AdTran quote against Cisco router?), their phones are awful compared to their competition. On this point, however, they are driving sales of there new stuff (their LAN stuff is actually not very profitable for them right now) by punishing you for not upgrading or punishing you for trying to buy old stuff. I don't think that is terribly unreasonable for a business and they are far from the only manufacturer that does that.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Nightshade1:

*I'm waving the peace flag over here*

My feelings are not hurt.

I was not being a fan-boy as much as I was just suspicious of your intent, but my suspicion is apparently unfounded.

If you ever come to San Antonio, then I'll buy you lunch.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Okay instant ill take that lunch if i ever go there... haha...
    Like i said im not a Aruba Employ but now you mention it, it would be nice, i really like their products, and how they innovate with new ideas, i have managed many vendors and that one is that i liked the most(not because im the product manager of it, because it was before having this role in the company, in fact they gave me that role because they saw that i really liked and were fan of the product i guess) i come from engineering.

Anyways continuing with the topic im agree with networker050184 :)

Cheers
    Carlos
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I feel that most people, including myself, are Cisco fanatics because we can recognize the power of Cisco certifications when they're backed up with experience and knowledge. The CLI is also pretty easy when compared to other vendors.

Back to the subject at hand:

At the end of the day its just a business. If something cost more to produce or maintain a company is not going to eat that cost. They are going to pass the additional cost on to the consumer.
  • Options
    I feel that most people, including myself, are Cisco fanatics because we can recognize the power of Cisco certifications when they're backed up with experience and knowledge. The CLI is also pretty easy when compared to other vendors.

Back to the subject at hand:

At the end of the day its just a business. If something cost more to produce or maintain a company is not going to eat that cost. They are going to pass the additional cost on to the consumer.

You just need to learn how other vendors work and what are their ideas, bealive me i was once a cisco fanatic, but i never tried other vendors.. until i got to this company which there were NO cisco, just other brands... at the end i finished liking a lot Aruba.
    The thing is that people just manage cisco and thats it, and when they see something different they are afraid of the change... and well anyways thats how human beings are, we are afraid of the different i guess :P

Cheers
    Carlos
  • Options
    varesevarese Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes.. i'm in a new role.. a place with not a lot of $$ that invested heavily in Cisco (phone, switches... etc..).. time to renew and I'm thinking of going with AdTran all the way for hardware.. (digium/asterisk for phones)... i'd like to find out more about peoples' feelings about/experience with AdTran...
  • Options
    AdTrans are some of the most reliable hardware produced today. There is a reason why ISPs use them as CPE. For a corporate environment; I am not sure they would be my choice.