I feel bad for the youth of today

13»

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have heard from a few HR people that you shouldn't put down hobbies, clubs, interests, etc because they some companies end up removing that stuff anyways if your resume is selected as a possible candidate. They remove it to avoid possible discrimination issues due to race, gender, political affiliations, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    At my company we are currently interviewing for an operations assistant/entry pc tech and we are looking to recruit from a local tech school in our area and I'm astounded how terrible these resumes are. Every single resume just looked progressively worst. From the tone of the resumes they all sound like real young candidates for there sake I hope they are. Its like no one knows how to write a resume or formulate a sentence and these are the top contenders the career advisor has for us. One of them mentioned that they like to listen to trance and ambient elevator music.

Fellow EDM listener, I'd give him an interview.
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    ^^ Ever been to EDC?? icon_thumright.gif
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Ha yeah. Something is going on with that guy at work or home. He's got a generally negative attitude/disposition on every subject he comments on.
    He hasn't, traditionally, though. It only seems so as of late. Hence the "go on a cruise, get a massage" comment. He just needs to get back to his happy place.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    zrockstar wrote: »
    If you are primarily recruiting from one tech school, then maybe that is your problem. You can't keep going back to the school of idiots and wonder why you are getting resumes from idiots.

Oh you better believe I rolled my eyes when my boss mentioned he dipped into this specific tech school for candidates. Even though I automatically figured you get what you pay for but I've seen people post on here with resumes that looked a lot similar to the ones we received. In this thread others also commented that they've seen it all from young to old. I just wanted to make the point if you want to be hired as a professional you better damn well represent yourself as one.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I just wanted to make the point if you want to be hired as a professional you better damn well represent yourself as one.

Indeed that is what it comes down to. Be able to present yourself in a professional manner if you expect someone to hire you as one.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    I was told to include hobbies bc it let the employer know more about you and that you might connect with them via a shared interest.

Thats what the cover letter is for to give the employer an opportunity to get a sense of who you are. Thats when you can give a nice summary of your aspirations and skills. Best example I can think of right now is you should think the employer reading resumes as if you were reading a specification list on a motherboard. Does this have everything I want or need to get the job done and if its not stated clearly I would just look at the next one.