CCNA Lab suggestions

cbolarcbolar Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I've managed to get a hold of (3) 1841 routers and (2) 3550 24 port POE switches. Do you guys have any additional recommendations and if so why? I am thinking about adding a 3560 to the collection in case that helps. Also I'll be going for the CCNA:Security through WGU.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Three switches work best for STP scenarios, but you could make it work with two if you needed to. A 2960 or something similar would work. The 3560 would be nice for further in your studies, but not needed at this level.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The only other two things you could possibly even need would be an access server if you don't want to change the console cable around and an ASA for security. Would definitely add another switch...2960/2950 if you wanted to practice router on a stick but otherwise 3560 would be good for further certifications.
  • cbolarcbolar Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the advice so far! I will look into these items tonight. I've seen a few access servers and 3560 switches for roughly $180 w/ free shipping on ebay and a 1 year warranty to boot. Also what is your take on (2) 4 port NIC card. I am thinking about setting up a server and running VMware to create multiple work stations so I don't have to plug in my 8+ computers around here.
  • JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can also use VPCS in ether mode (tap interfaces on Linux), and then you bridge tap interfaces with ethernet interfaces of the NIC. Good enough for "ping" and "traceroute", and a lot easier to setup. Also, easier on resources and works great with emulated routers (Dynamips/GNS).

Here's the wiki (with download links):
    http://wiki.freecode.com.cn/doku.php?id=wiki:vpcs

(I can write more about the Linux setup, if anybody is interested.)
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That would be a good thing to have for pinging, traceroute etc. I personally only use two computers and change them around as needed but for the most part the routers and switches are where a lot of the work is so having that many stations could be overkill.