Options

Going for my third attempt at the CISSP - What I've learned

kccomputerpilotkccomputerpilot Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
O.K…here’s my story………………..
Scheduled to take the exam in thenext two weeks....I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Here is my history on taking theexam....gearing up for my first attempt I took a week long class, studiedmaterial from class, a little of the Shon Harris book (questions at end ofchapter and summary for each chapter). Took a few months off...thencrammed for a month, sort of and spent the last week in the library (took off work). You really need to know your stuff when taking thisexam...I was 9 minutes shy of taking the full 6 hrs. I waited until I got to my vehicle andchecked the printout...I got a 692 on the first attempt meaning I missed itby 2 questions (went back and changed some answers-burnt me). Wasn't prepared mentally to take the longexam-didn't have a game plan-thought it would be like any other cert exam I'vetaken (I had a half cup of coffee and a hashbrown from MCDonalds beforerushing to an early exam that I thought would take maybe 3 hrs).

Second attempt...my exam gotcancelled due to bad weather. Geez...had to wait two more weeks whichmeans two more weeks of non-stop studying which is tough with a job, kids,wife, ect-you all know what I’m talking about.

2nd-second attempt (ha ha), thoughtit was easier and didn't even bother to review the questions I marked to reviewbecause I felt like I passed, my strategy going in (thinking I learned how totake the test better) was to read a question twice and if I didn't know forsure, I just marked it for review and kept going like a race…wasted too muchbrain power last time. Took a few breaks, was in good spirits since thequestions didn't seem so foreign this time around. When it came time toreview…I didn't even bother since I felt like I passed...last time around Istopped marking questions for review because it would of been every otherquestion. Bad idea again (3.5hrs and got a 672). Going into thetest I had a good breakfast, got some sleep and felt confident because CCCure.orgseemed to prepare me well for the exam. WhatI learned from that exam attempt.

1) Don’t schedule a party to celebrate becoming a CISSP the same day of theexam. Yes, mine was cancelled.

2) If you don’t know an answer, after reading the question twice…my adviceis don’t even put an answer, just mark it for review (at the end of the testyou will be allowed to see any unmarked and marked questions, I assureyou. When reviewing the unansweredquestions you marked, you will have a fresh look at the question again and notsecond guess yourself by changing an answer you selected previously because youdidn’t put much thought into the first round.
3) Don’t rush, the exam is $600, get your money worth and make a day out ofit. Geez you prepared long enough for it-thisis your day. Also by reviewing thequestions, you will remember what to study for better the next time, god forbidyou have to face this beast of a test again.

4) Take your time, read, reread,then reread the questions carefully and take unscheduled breaks (that’s whatthey call them). I believe you can takeup to 6 and you should. Don’t feel badraising your hand and having the proctor check you out for a break. That’s their job and yours is to keep afocused, non- exhausted mind.

This time around (had to wait 90days for the third attempt), I scheduled the exam later in the day and amgearing up. During my 90 day wait….
1-I’veregistered on SANS and watched the Eric Cole CISSP SANS webcast- thankstechexams.net for this advice. You needthis and the advice is invaluable…gonna watch this again before I take theexam. http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/93407-cissp-passed-09-14-2013-my-story-took-3-times-long-read.html
https://www.sans.org/webcasts/successful-passing-cissp-95594

2-I purchased the ISC2 CISSPStudiscope questions –they send me a promo code after taking the free 30question exam and registering. I thinkit was worth the money. It is good for90 days but they will extend it another 90 days if you ask. Https://www.expresscertifications.com/isc2/

3-Safari online books membership- I’veread Eric Conrad’s CISSP StudyGuide, Edition Two-GREAT (I liked this betterthan reading the long Shon Harris CISSP book), looked over his 11thhour CISSP-OK but it is just a recap to freshen your mind the last week beforeyou take the exam, CISSP Rapid Review-Great, Great, resource and still readingExamCram for the CISSP-good just tired of preparing and adding yet anotherresource.

4-I re-purchased the CCCure.orgmembership-great (6 months) but haven’t even used it as I’ve been busy with allthe other material I have. I will usethe CCCure next week as I feel it really helped me last time. Thanks Clement. I also purchased 1 & 2 of his scenarioCISSP question for around $50-went through these once. Links below to save you the hassle of lookingfor them.

https://www.freepracticetests.org/quiz/index.php?page=dashboard&page_type=
https://www.cccure.com/cart/products/CISSP-Scenario-Based-Questions-Combo-Part-1-and-Part-2-(All-10-domains).html

I’ll let you know how I do. Good luck to all of you gearing up also. (sorry when I pasted this, the formatting got messed up)