Options

Do we need microsoft certs in addition to Cisco?

Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am working towards my CCNA. Part 1 is scheduled for January and I hope to take part 2 in July.

I noticed when looking specifically for networking jobs the list of requirements is long. What I am wondering is will I eventually need to pursue Microsoft certifications. It seems like all fields overlap some so maybe work experience fills in the gaps and working towards Cisco certs would be enough advance my career.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'd like to say no but these days, it's nice to know the other side of the house. It's just generally good to have some knowledge of servers, VM, etc even if networking is your passion. It doesn't mean you have to go all the way to the professional level certifications in those areas but it's nice to at least get some knowledge if you can even if it doesn't equate to a certification
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't say the addition of Microsoft certs for a Network Admin/Engineer are as important as having basic knowledge of the technology. It is always useful for the network guys/gals to have a working knowledge of the systems they are connecting. The same goes for System Admins/Engineers. It is always nice for them to have a basic understanding of the network so they can understand how their devices are talking to each other. That said, I go back to my first sentence. Most employers will expect you to at least understand the technology, but not necessarily have a certification in the opposite field. I'm in a position now where I run/engineer the network, but I am also expected to do basic VM and server administration.
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on what you want to do. I've never had the need to be able to admin an MS server in my career. Certainly no need to have the certifications even if I did.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the quick responses. From my understanding and experience I believe I will focus on the network side. I don't enjoy working with the servers but I understand I will be connecting them so I better understand why.

I am sure once I start working in IT I will gain a much better idea of what I am expected to pickup and learn. I just want to avoid being the student with a piece of paper and no idea what to do with it :)
  • Options
    EXAMCCIEEXAMCCIE Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have had MS certs on and off for 15+ years, I am know working towards Cisco certs!!! As someone already said, its good to have fundamental knowledge of MS technologies, but if I had to pick which one would be valued more over the other it would be Cisco hands down.
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Need? Probably not.

Handy to have? Probably...or at least a reasonable understanding of other areas.

I've seen an increasing number of job ads looking for a all-rounders...Cisco, VMware, F5, Microsoft AD/Exchange and more. Employers, usually small/medium that can't afford a dedicated Network person...understandably trying to fill as many niches with the least overhead.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Probably not so much if you are going to work primarily on Cisco equipment. I don't know how it is for 2012, but for 2008 the structure of the exams (each MCTS exam was essentially an NP level exam on that topic - Infrastructure, Active Directory, etc... - with there being NO NA level exam to prepare you) made it very difficult to achieve any Microsoft certifications unless you really dedicated yourself to MS alone or cheated. I spent two years studying Microsoft Server 2008 exclusively [before I came back over to Cisco] and have only cert (MCTS Active Directory) to show for it.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    From what I've seen on the field there are more Cisco guys that understand Windows than the other way around. With the line between systems and network getting thinner every day, it just makes sense to understand both.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I spend a great deal of time scouring the job boards in my area. For the past 2 years I've probably seen damn near every IT posting in my area. My main goal is to keep an eye on what skills are required the most in my area, I haven't actually applied for any jobs yet as I don't really want to leave my current position. I have seen very few listings looking for specifically a Cisco person, or specifically an Exchange or Server person. An extremely high percentage of job postings list 'Windows, networking, and virtualization. Linux and SAN experience a bonus'.

This may not be the case in larger cities, there may be more postings that require specializations. My recommendation would be to scour the job boards in your area and see what roles companies are trying to fill.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say yes. I have alot of Telecommunications experience and I can fix standalone computers and troubleshoot simple network issues but I cannot tell you how many times I have been told by Tech recruiters recently if I have any or plan to get any certifications in Windows,Windows Server,SQL,Active Directory, Apple certification and A+ certification.

I would suggest after you get your CCNA get certified in Windows 7 or 8 or get certified in Apple Products. But in the end it's up to you on the path that is right for you.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    EXAMCCIE wrote: »
    I have had MS certs on and off for 15+ years, I am know working towards Cisco certs!!! As someone already said, its good to have fundamental knowledge of MS technologies, but if I had to pick which one would be valued more over the other it would be Cisco hands down.
    This has been my experience as well. Cisco certifications are simple money and have a ton of ROI.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    theodoxa wrote: »
    each MCTS exam was essentially an NP level exam on that topic - Infrastructure, Active Directory, etc... - with there being NO NA level exam to prepare you.

Really? I'm working on my CCNA (still early on in my studies) and there seems to be a lot more little details in the grand scheme of things...maybe it's because I've worked with MS servers for a few years now but I'm not sure I'd equate the level of difficulty to the CCNP.

Other opinions?

Edit: I'm working in the reverse direction of OP, I don't anticipate doing anything strictly network-related but I would like to be able to setup a datacenter from top to bottom, including the router/switch configuration; looking at CCNA then VCP to get the big picture.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Really? I'm working on my CCNA (still early on in my studies) and there seems to be a lot more little details in the grand scheme of things...maybe it's because I've worked with MS servers for a few years now but I'm not sure I'd equate the level of difficulty to the CCNP.

It seemed to me like there was alot more breadth of material to the Microsoft exams, particularly obscure or rarely used technologies/methods. Stuff like offline domain joins, powershell scripting, Federation Services, etc...would be NP or IE topics if Cisco designed these tests. These are not NA-level topics. There are also some questions [particularly on stuff that doesn't work that seems like it should] that just aren't covered or even mentioned in any book or course. They are stuff you have to run into in your labbing and end up looking up the solution on TechNet.

IIRC, there are actually less topics on the CCNP than the CCNA. The CCNP just has more depth (more advanced material) to those topics. It would be nice if Microsoft would add Simulations/Simlets to their exams like Cisco. The exams I took were all multiple choice and maybe some drag and drop. I actually believe these type of questions make the exam easier for someone who really knows what they're doing, while making it harder for those who would ****.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    You don't need MSFT Certifications, however Cisco+MSFT is a powerful combination in this industry. Employers love to hire people who can bridge the gap between the server guys and the network guys. You'd definitely be more marketable with both
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU