work from home oppratunities?

TechieComedianTechieComedian Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
i was just recently working plum choice and they just ended my contract, so i wanted to know if there was another company or website that would be good when looking for a work form home gig in the IT field. the only other one ive seen is support.com, ive inquired about a position bu they only pay $11.00/hr

Comments

• TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any reason why you can only work from home? You're really limiting yourself.

Typically, the only people that can telecommute and demand a higher salary have YEARS of education and experience (namely seasoned professionals).
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • TechieComedianTechieComedian Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    only because i no longer have a mode of transportation, other wise i would probably relocate because this is a bad area for IT jobs.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have public transportation in you area?
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most of these jobs require quite a bit of experience, but you might check out the new job board from 37signals:

We Work Remotely
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have never worked from home before but I am looking into trying this type of work. It was suggested to me by another poster on TechExams. He said it's a great way to get experience and get paid. The down side to working at home as I am finding out are that these remote positions pay less then regular call center type operations. For some that might be an issue but for me $15 to $16 dollars an hour is better then unemployment.

The other big concern I have are scams for remote employment. I saw a few posts on this thread about possible places to apply for remote jobs. If anyone else has any suggestions for companies that hire remote workers please let me know.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I don't mean to be harsh but if you have to ask where the job is, you're probably not qualified.

Like others have stated, working from home is generally done later in your career after you've all ready established yourself. This is also why many of the work-from-home jobs start as office jobs and gradually transition. It's less risky from a managerial perspective for an employee to work every other Friday at home to judge whether or not this particular person can juggle their work load with all the distractions of home life. This way higher ups know that they can trust you to produce and not sit at home playing WoW.

While it may sound nice to sit at home and get paid, it's not a viable career option for people in the beginnings of their career in large part to the fact that your skills won't grow as fast as they would working alongside engineers, you won't make the professional contacts that are vital to career advancement and you won't make any type of decent living.

Again, all of these statements, albeit very generalized, are aimed at entry level home positions. I am a huge proponent of working from home so long as you work hard, know your stuff and do your job. I bill 56 hours a week and drive an hour to and from work. My hours make me understand the huge importantance of work/life balance and I one day hope to work from home to have more time to practice the cello or widdle, or whatever it is I'll be interested in 20 years from now.

BUT, for now we put our nose to the grindstone and work very very hard, learn everything we possibly can, so that one day we can kick our feet up, take a few calls a day from our minions, and pursue other life goals outside of work.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • spaul8809spaul8809 Banned Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    work from home is a very good opportunity in the today's life... i really appreciate this one
  • tescosamoatescosamoa Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another place to look for remote positions is the top fortune 500 companies. Most of my work in H.P. has been remote.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I lucked out as when I told my employer I was moving across the county, they decided to create a work at home position for me (DoD contractor).
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seeing many more remote and virtual positions at the higher end becoming available this past year or so. HR sees this as an up and coming trend with less stigma than in the past where the opportunity to advance (promoted) became quickly diminished. Still its very competitive to find these positions even at the senior level.

Good luck!

- B Eads