Options

Testing Tuesday morning, any final tips?

zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

I am testing this coming Tuesday the 12th at 7am. I have read Eric Conrad Study Guide V2 twice as well as 11th hour twice. I have been using CCCure's practice engine paid version and averaging 80% and did a 250 question test and got 84%. Using Transcender as well just for some variety. Also have been referencing AIO's chapter summaries and going over the Sunflower PDF as well. I have all weekend, and I am off Monday as well and plan to really delve in and run through the 11th hour again, as well as the full study guide on the tougher subjects.

So far my toughest subjects are TCSEC levels and what is introduced at each level, as well as the EAL stuff.

Any final recommendations or tips? I was thinking of listening to the SANS webcast as well as the short course that was free through the Australian organization that was floating around on here.

Thanks for any final tips and really hoping to leave Tuesday with a pass! icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck on the exam. Make sure you are well-rested. Sometimes it's best not to over-think things.
  • Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wrote down several notes on that laminate page they give you even before accepting the terms of agreement. I mapped the OSI model to the TCP/IP Model. I wrote down 4 different security models (Bell LaPadula, Biba, Clark Wilson, and Brewer Nash). I wrote down the different modes of IPSec of what they are used for. Some encryption stuff, and some other items. Point being some of the items you are weak take note of them, look them over before going to the testing center, and then when you get in write them down as notes.

I also wrote "THINK LIKE A MANAGER" at the top of my laminate sheet.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips so far, will follow them!

The jotting down of information that you have trouble recalling isn't a bad idea at all. I might do that with some of the Orange Book levels or as you mentioned OSI to TCP/IP models.

My toughest areas seem to be Telecomm and Security Architecture
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Have you watched the SANS webcast?
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    keep working on your two weakest domain, good luck to you ?)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Know your ALE, SLE, ARO, EF, and AV calculations. People tend to screw up on ARO in forgetting it's a fraction if the threat occurrence is less than once per year. For example:

3 times per year is an ARO of 3
    once per year is an ARO of 1
    once every three years is an ARO of 0.33

And remember that when EF isn't applicable to a problem it has a value of 1 or 100%, meaning that the entire asset is a loss.
  • Options
    JD,

Thanks for the final tip. I will definitely re-read the concepts you mentioned as well as others I really need to drive home. I'm averaging 80-90% on 250 Question quizzes on CCCure, although I know some of it is just due to seeing the questions many times. I am however re-reading the concepts I continuously get wrong or still don't fully understand too!

2 more days, feel like the info is leaking out of my ears.. ready to test Tuesday one way or another
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dont forget the roi formula in addition to what jd said. roi = (gain - expenditure) / expenditure.