Options

Reading CISSP by Sybex

tony71tony71 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone else read this book and took the exam? I read the Shon Harris book late last year but it was information overload.

I'm thinking of reading his book and the 11th hour book and taking 2 or 3 practice exam and taking the exam for the 3rd time.

Comments

• Options
    moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Hi Tony...I haven't read the sybex book, one of my workmates has though, I will find out from him how he found it.

In the mean time could you please share your strategy for this attempt, I would like to assist you where I can.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I really suggest using the (ISC)2's official study guide for the CISSP CBK in your studies too. That's a major reference used by the people who write the CISSP exam items.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advises.

This will be my 3rd time taking the exam, the first time I studied Shon Harris and took practive exam from that book, cccorg and
    some other site, I felt confident that I passed even with 20 questions left out didn't time to go back and I got 678.

Second time I studied eric conrad but didn't realy studied much due to moving and unexpected emergency, got a 658.

So now I'm almost done with the sybex book, then I will take the 3 practice exam it came with each 250 questions, and maybe
    take the cccorg exams again then go in for the test.
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are referring to this book [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide by Sybex, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]this is a [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]great[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] book. It is nicely broken up into smaller chapters that make it easy to understand the concepts. Highly recommended. [/FONT][h=1][/h]
  • Options
    moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Spoke to my workmate, he reckons it's a good study resource and highly recommends it. I am sure as you know, you need to use multiple resources to be successful with this exam. I would recommend combining the Sybex Guide with two to three other resources, as suggested already, you could combine with (ISC)2 official guide, Shon Harris AIO and Eric Conrad's Study guide. I know at a glance it may seem like a lot of work, but once you get into it, you will realize that you need to read extensively, it is imperative that you desist on relying on one resource.

Take your time to study and absorb it all. Set out a study plan and try by all means to stick to it. I probably over did it when I was studying for the CISSP but ensure that you dedicate a certain number of hours per day, you have to keep the information absorption constant, I know it's not easy with family, work and other distractions, but it is possible. Weekends are gold (that is if you do not work weekends), many hours to put in a lot of work. If you happen to finish a domain earlier than you had set out in your study plan, reward yourself, take a break, watch a movie, then re-adjust your study plan and get back into it. With this being your 3rd attempt, I am sure you have a good idea of what to expect in the exam, the type of questions that is. Practice exams, no negotiations with this one, you gotta do heaps of them.

All the best, let me know if you have any other questions or require additional tips but I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

I finished the book, much easier read than Shon Harris. Took the first 250 practice exam got an 80. icon_sad.gif
    Will take 500 more questions, then go to cccorg take some practice exams there. Go over the highlights in the book and read the 11th hour.

To tell you the truth since taking the exam twice, it was easy but my time management sucked.

I think the 3rd time is the charm. I HOPE. icon_smile.gif