Options

Unable to connect laptop to Desktop.

sarahanandsarahanand Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is a simple current scenario at my place, and Its annoying me that I cant solve it.

I have a desktop running Windows 7 Home premium connected to the my wireless router. I have a printer (no Wifi option) that's connected to this Desktop. I'm running Windows 7 home basic on my laptop and use the wireless of course to connect to the internet.

I want to be able to print command from my laptop to the printer. A few days back, I succeeded in creating a home group, but today I noticed I wasn't able to access my Desktop via the laptop. I however am able to ping my desktop.

When I create a home-group on my desktop, and then try to join the home-group on it through my Laptop, the Join button on the laptop remains disabled. In between all this, I noticed for few moments that I was able to access the Laptop folders from my desktop but not the other way round. But then a while later I couldn't. I'm so confused. I'm able to ping the the two devices......so can't figure out.

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    And how is this problem related to Cisco or the CCENT/CCNA certification?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    sarahanandsarahanand Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dieg0M

Thank you for being so kind enough to enlighten me. I'm sorry I have offended you by posting a simple networking query/issue that I am facing. Since I'm preparing for the CCENT exam, and quite often post my Queries here, I thought someone would be kind enough to walk me through this too.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @sarahanand,

You might try reviewing this post:
    Network Share not working through Windows 7 home premium - Microsoft Community

Regarding your reply to Diego0M, please understand this is an exam prep website. Members might assist with technical issues, however the majority of the focus on our board is for exam prep, certification tracks and some job/school recommendations.

Your post is being moved to a more suitable forum.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    In the past all I've had to do is "share" the printer on the connected desktop (right click printer > properties > sharing).

Then you start the add new printer wizard on the laptop > network printer > \\desktopname\printersharename. I can't say I've ever utilized the homegroup function.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had nothing but problems with Windows Homegroup, and the more I read about it, the more it seemed like I wasn't the only one. I turned off Homegroups and just use a workgoup to connect all my devices and share my printer over the wireless network at home.