Options

Auditing Technical or Administrative??

niall.nfniall.nf Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ive a funny feeling this question will cause an argument but does anybody know the official ISC2 line on whether auditing is an administrative control or a technical control??

Thanks

Niall.nf

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From my perspective, auditing is a form of monitoring which is performed by subject matter experts who utilize administrative processes - hence it's an administrative control.

I'm pretty sure that the ISC2 body of knowledge would consider it an administrative control as well.
  • Options
    atx1975atx1975 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have not researched the answer, but I also believe this is Administrative control.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you can point out a true technical control involving audit, DLP combined with SIEM logging as a technical control for audit then I wouldn't hesitate to agree that audit is a technical control. Otherwise 99% of audit is administrative in nature in the first place, no?

Machines do not specifically check policy on there own - let alone write and enforce.

- B Eads
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Creating policies that require auditing would be administrative control. The actual auditing itself is a technical control. Reviewing the audit logs via an auditor is also an administrative control.
  • Options
    niall.nfniall.nf Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys..thanks for the feedback, and as I thought there was divided opinions on the topic, however just to clear up I did a little research and according to ISC2 auditing is a technical control! They seem to look at it from the auditing log files pov.