Options

HP Folio 13-1029wm with a good linux distro?

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys. Been really wanting to get into learning the Linux command line lately, especially because I want to be able to build my os foundation from the ground up (Features and such). The only thing I've been wary of is losing compatibility with programs I normally use such as packet tracer and a couple others. What do you think would be the best distro for me to help construct that foundation for me, and where would be the best resources for me to begin such a feat? Any help would be appreciated? :D
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    From what I read, that particular product has a bunch of problems with it's bits and pieces but it should work fine - on paper anyway - with the latest version of Ubuntu or Debian.
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not do it in a VM? At least until you have a setup that would fulfill your requirements.
  • Options
    What would be best for a beginner? Debian or Mint KDE? No thank you to Ubuntu. I want something lightweight preferably and is capable of running packet tracer efficiently in wine.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    What would be best for a beginner? Debian or Mint KDE? No thank you to Ubuntu. I want something lightweight preferably and is capable of running packet tracer efficiently in wine.

Why would you run Packet Tracer in WINE when there's a perfectly good Linux version of the program that you can run instead?
  • Options
    How much does it cost? And where do I get it?
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Packet tracer being able to run in WINE is dependent on the limitations of a given version of WINE, not any particular distro. I've never heard of a linux version of packet tracer though. You can use gns3 but it doesn't have support for managed cisco switches. Honestly, I just dual boot for anything I need in windows to save myself the headache. I don't use any of those tools enough to stress myself out trying to get them to work in linux.

Also, mint is probably better for a beginner and is probably more suited for a desktop.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There was an RPM of PacketTracer that I saw mentioned on another forum. Haven't searched for it, so don't know where to find it.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    How much does it cost? And where do I get it?

You can get it from Cisco's Net Academy downloads but it's also in some Linux repositories.